Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Engine Covers

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
Ive had mime off for a few days now and it makes no diff to temp or performance. It could be my imagination but I am sure my noisy injectors are now even noisier with out the covers on. I think also that it will help keep all the fiddly bits under the covers cleaner. With the covers off on a rainy day, crap splashing up into your engine bay can now get all over everything, but off course this is arguable. At the end of the day it wont hurt having them off. I think maybe they just neaten the bay up and maybe reduce some of the noises that come from our engines. like the clicking sounds from injectors. P.S. I think I need new injectors.

Last edited:

Macca87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
I've been told its better to have them on because the slight heat trapping makes the engine run I little bit leaner = better economy. Just what I've been told

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Macca, a hotter motor or intake makes the fuel atomize with the air better, better economy, but because hotter air is less dense, there isn't as much oxygen content per cc, less power.

And the covers were cosmetic, they don't have any affect on the temperature of the coolant, but they do trap heat under the intake manifold, which can make some measurable difference in economy/power, theoretically. I have mine off because i put manifold insulators in, but i wouldn't take them off because they will make the car feel faster.

And don't be worried about water getting to the injectors. If it does, it wont be enough to cause damage, and the water will evaporate quickly.

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
If you want your Upper intake Manifold cooler MACE sell Insulators to help stop heat transfer from lower intake manifold to upper. but that's off the topic. Anyway if you do take your Covers off, make sure you put them somewhere safe. I had them on the floor of the garage. I went out there one night but the stupid light switch is at opposite end to entrance and I Frigging stepped on one of the covers causing a fair sized section to break off. Its a fairly straight crack so hopefully I can plastic weld it back together. The frigged things are not cheap to replace. So after all I said, turns out im an idiot who should have just left them on the engine