Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Oil Leaks

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Hi guys, bought a licensed 2004 VZ Acclaim wagon at a bargain price from an auction. Car was sold cheap due to a coolant leak and noisy idler pulleys. Upon hearing the car drive through I immediately knew the issue was water pump.

So I took the car home and removed the water pump which was indeed the problem. While there I removed the inlet manifold and coolant inlet hose to change the two rubber o-rings as I could see some fluid in the general area of the inlet. However, as you can see in the photos there is a mystery buildup sitting just above the water pump. I decided this was just a greasy buildup made to look worse by leaking coolant, but wanted some other opinions.

Also, I noticed a leak on the left of the engine behind the alternator housing. Looks to me like it could be from the timing cover, but I also know there are a few sensors behind the alternator housing so I wasn't sure if anyone had any experience with a similar leak.

My plans for the car are just to clean it up, get it running well and then sell it to make some money to spend on my XU6 so I'm not wanting to go to all the effort to change the timing cover (appears to be rocker covers off, harmonic balancer off and most accessories off). However if it's a simpler fix such as a leaking sensor behind the alternator I would be willing to fix it. I'm not sure yet how bad it actually is I won't be able to find out until I degrease the motor and take it for a drive.

Just looking for any input people may have. Maybe there is an additive for oil to seal up weeping gaskets?

20130714_184611.jpg

20130714_184616.jpg

20130714_184623.jpg

20130714_191014.jpg

20130714_192045.jpg

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
I replaced the engine in the Alloytec ute I have over the weekend and both the original and the replacement were leaking oil from here, so looks like a common fault. I degreased the new engine with the alternator mounting bracket off and it cleaned it up but I didn't pay much attention to where the leak was coming from sorry :(

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
That would be the dreaded timing cover leaking. Just degrease it before an inspection and she will be all good. It's a pita to replace though, I think holden workshop manual days 10hour labour

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
No annual inspections in WA and its already licensed. More just something that may detract value from the car when I sell it.