Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec oil pump gasket ??!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Cruisy2650

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vz 2005 omega v6 alloytec
Thanks for all your help

NO gasket or oring required
Holden confirmed definitely
Is not any on the model I have

Cruisy2650

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vz 2005 omega v6 alloytec
Didn't think so
This is not a motor you would want gasket glue anywhere near, too many small oil journals on retensioners etc

barracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon | VX SS Turbo | VS SS | VZ 3.6 Wagon
I have the same question and have also struggled to get a definate answer.

I'm fairly sure that the original pump didn't have an o-ring - if it did, it fell out and went into the sump, or the oil drain-tray when I removed the pump.

I got a new pump from Mace, and that didn't come with an o-ring.
I called Holden and gave them my VIN. The guy was really helpful and after referring to his parts manuals etc told me that there is no sign of an o-ring anywhere.

It just doesn't seem right, as there's a nice o-ring grove in the pump flange. My gut feel is that a good quality oil resistant high temp o-ring would be a better option than nothing at all, and I definitely wouldn't use sealant in that situation.

It'd be good to hear from someone who can confirm either way - previous posters have said they got o-rings from Holden but I wonder if they just picked something that fits and used that rather than matching by a part number.

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
I did my Leo just recently - no gasket when it came apart so no gasket when it went back together with the new pump. There is a machined groove on each of the joining faces, but not deep enough or the right shape for an O ring seal.
I put a smidge of RTV silicon in there to make sure.
Oil goes from this joint to and thru the filter so RTV ok if a bit breaks away, as the filter will catch it .

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
I have the same question and have also struggled to get a definate answer.

I'm fairly sure that the original pump didn't have an o-ring - if it did, it fell out and went into the sump, or the oil drain-tray when I removed the pump.

I got a new pump from Mace, and that didn't come with an o-ring.
I called Holden and gave them my VIN. The guy was really helpful and after referring to his parts manuals etc told me that there is no sign of an o-ring anywhere.

It just doesn't seem right, as there's a nice o-ring grove in the pump flange. My gut feel is that a good quality oil resistant high temp o-ring would be a better option than nothing at all, and I definitely wouldn't use sealant in that situation.

It'd be good to hear from someone who can confirm either way - previous posters have said they got o-rings from Holden but I wonder if they just picked something that fits and used that rather than matching by a part number.

So - just for fun attached a photo of the back of the original GM pump that came off without any seals .

GM pump.JPG

on the left - oil discharge to filter housing, centre - oil pick up from sump - right - bolt hole. So it looks like the groove has been machined to receive an O ring - but - no O ring present when taken off and apparently no O ring listed in holdem parts manual. Getting one to fit would be an absolute pain - would have to be very thin to fit but fat to seal which is why I said earlier - does not look like it has been machined to accept an o ring ?
So - i used a smear of RTV gasket - not too much. on the basis that any that broke off would go to the filter first any way.

Incidentally - it is worth pouring a bit of oil into the centre of the oil filter housing before start up - this oil will find its way back into and through the new pump so that the new pump is not starting up dry.

barracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon | VX SS Turbo | VS SS | VZ 3.6 Wagon
I agree - the bottom of the groove isn't machined and it's a fraction too shallow to take an o-ring. Mace emailed me back and said this: There is no O ring required. The factory pump is the same and is a commonly asked question.