Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec V6 as smooth as Japanese V6's ?

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Toa, you have some valid points, but I was referring the old V6 compared to the Jap versions, I didn't include the XT in that aspect, another point I agree on is every mag has the 0-100 etc etc times different, BUT I can say this the 175kW is quicker then the old Ecotec, not by much BUT it's still quicker, one last thing what does an 05 skyline four door look like? current model is the R34 right? do they exist, all I ever see is are two door variants. So why isn't it compared along the other cars, will I ever see a comparo? I doubt I ever will.

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
ShanghaiVZ said:
Toa, you have some valid points, but I was referring the old V6 compared to the Jap versions, I didn't include the XT in that aspect
Aha, that makes more sense.

As for the VZ exec 175 being quicker, personally I'm not convinced as I have driven quite a few now and I can't find a performance advantage.

This is what a 4 door R34 skyline looks like:
4drGTR.jpg

The reason you don't see many comparos with these cars is because they are not factory brought in, they havn't been for many years now and the only ones you do see are grey imports.

But I do have an issue of wheels or motor where they got hold of some guys brand new imported R34 GTR and put it up against the mighty VT GTS 300, about 4 or 5 pages of it. So even though they aren't brought into this country by normal means they still seem to set a performance precedent which other car manufacturers try to compare to.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
Toa said:
The engines are the same just under a slightly different tune.

Not sure about the coin trick, never tried it.

The magna V6's arent quite as smooth but they make up for it with a bit more oomph.
How are you going TOA, I remember you from another site, I doubt a 3.5 Magna or an Avalon would catch your old VT wagon, I was thinking the other day where have I seen that user name and avatar before? I'm piano man from another site. I also have heard many say that the VX\Y ecotec feels no slower than an allotec 175.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
ShanghaiVZ said:
I admit the GTR is an awesome piece of kit, but let's not compare apples to oranges, in the "family" orientated vehicles you can't include the models you describe, so let's keep the "apples V's apples" senario shall we? I remember a certain test done Futura/Acclaim/Magna/avalon/camry comparo, the Acclaim still had the dinosaur pushrod OHV Ecotec, compared with it's DOHC rivals yet it was faster, handled better, and it pipped them out of the top 2 contenders, what does that tell you. FYI the Futura came out on top JUST with the VY coming in second. And don't get me started on FWD (Front wheel drive) or as I like to call it...Farking Wrong Direction *shudders*
FWD....'Farking Wrong Direction'......Love it, brilliant :)

Last edited:

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Having started this thread I have to accept responsibility for what posts follow and what course they take, I really didn't want this to become a "jap crap" or "holden crap" war of words, rather a discussion concerning the topic of Alloytec refinement, however I must admit it is a provocative thread.........my fault.

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Muso aka "piano man", how've you been? did you get that wagon you were after? I think I'm gonna get rid of my wagon and get something a little newer for work as at 350,000kays it's starting to show signs of wear and tear, the drivers door handle just broke again and the glove box dropped out yesterday so yeah, she's getting a little tired.

Danv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Calais V8
I have driven both 175 kw and 190kw versions and the ones I have driven I personally found them rather smooth running. The 175 kw is uninspiring but it does the job compared to the 190kw. The thing is I hate engines without character an engine is way too smooth just kills some of the fun for me. :flame: :)

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
The holden V8's are alot smoother than the V6's, they can be a lot of fun.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toa said:
Hi Muso aka "piano man", how've you been? did you get that wagon you were after? I think I'm gonna get rid of my wagon and get something a little newer for work as at 350,000kays it's starting to show signs of wear and tear, the drivers door handle just broke again and the glove box dropped out yesterday so yeah, she's getting a little tired.

No I am not getting a wagon now, hurt my back and won't be starting an irrigation business....damn, so I'll have to stick to the family sedans, but I still would not mind a cheap old VN wagon on LPG just because of the petrol prices.
Toa do you think the Alloytec 175 would have the get up and go that your old VT wagon has? I mean that thing flies, it would surely be low 8's or flat 8's 0-100kph and mid 15's 0-400m? Cheers take care mate. Muso aka piano man

P.S. Buy a VY and put your VT engine in it :yeah: I really like the VY's

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
muso said:
No I am not getting a wagon now, hurt my back and won't be starting an irrigation business....damn, so I'll have to stick to the family sedans, but I still would not mind a cheap old VN wagon on LPG just because of the petrol prices.
Toa do you think the Alloytec 175 would have the get up and go that your old VT wagon has? I mean that thing flies, it would surely be low 8's or flat 8's 0-100kph and mid 15's 0-400m? Cheers take care mate. Muso aka piano man

P.S. Buy a VY and put your VT engine in it :yeah: I really like the VY's
That's not good news, well I suppose there are worse things in life though.

Mate anything on gas is good at the moment, I've been driving my old ex-telstra van on LPG around for work lately because of the phenomenal fuel prices.

Nah mate, the new 175 alloytec can't hold a candle to the old girls go, but everything else is nicer because it's newer, apart from the incredible amount of understeer bias the VZ's have under heavy cornering.

I'm thinking of a V8 on LPG for the next one.

Cheers
Toa