Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec with 3:46:1 Diff, Developing a mysterious squeaking noise!

Owned

VZ SV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey guys,

Ever since my Alloytec 190 made over 200rwhp I noticed a pretty loud squeak noise in between gear changes time to time especially when in pwr mode when it drops a gear and engages. Now that i have a 3:46:1 diff it happens more frequently. Does anyone know what this mysterious squeaking noise might be? Its really bugging me now, id like to get it fixed asap as it can also be quite embarrassing.

If there is anyone experiencing or have had the same problem in the past id really appreciate it if you could help me. :D

Last edited:

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
i get squeeks, but i think its the clips that hold the rubber gromets on the exhaust hangers, you know the clips that stop the rubbers from falling off.

Owned

VZ SV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
i get squeeks, but i think its the clips that hold the rubber gromets on the exhaust hangers, you know the clips that stop the rubbers from falling off.

Yeh, but my squeek is a very, VERY loud squeek! i doubt it would be the clips that hold the rubber grommets on, it seems to be comming from the engine bay maybe? its hard to tell..

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
200rwkw... you have what turbo/supercharger setup?

is the noise coming from the engine or diff?

could be engine belt slip...

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
i wish my car made an extra 60-70kw at the wheels haha, thats mad

Owned

VZ SV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
200rwkw... you have what turbo/supercharger setup?

is the noise coming from the engine or diff?

could be engine belt slip...

I suspect that the loud squeek is coming from the front of the car, I doubt it could be the diff due to the fact the same noise was recurring with the factory diff before i swapped it for a 3.46:1 diff.
If it was my engine belt slipping is there anything i can do to fix this, other than replacing it?

Hey mate, i had a listen but i could not hear a squeeking noise, id know if it was the same squeek because it happens whilst engaging the changed gear and its bloody LOUD.

i wish my car made an extra 60-70kw at the wheels haha, thats mad

haha my bad *over 200rwhp*, but 200rwkw would be very nice though :D.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
haha yea man...with the belt, if you think it might be slipping, on your tensioner just check where the mark is to see if the belt is stretched a fair bit or not..if it is, replace it, or maybe your tensioner could be stuffed, might have lost tension...what i would do if i was you if grab some of that belt grip stuff from repco or somewhere..spray it on..if it stops you know its a belt/pulley...if it keeps going, its something else...if the noise does stop, replace the belt, if its on its last legs and you use belt grip, the belt grip stuff isn't good for your belt so i'd reckon to change it straight away...can you get a recording or something of your squeaking noise?

Phyco

Alloytec and Proud
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Acclaim Sedan
Hey mate, i had a listen but i could not hear a squeeking noise, id know if it was the same squeek because it happens whilst engaging the changed gear and its bloody LOUD.

Sorry I should of mentioned it is around the 6-7 second mark, will try to highlight it a bit in the audio and re-upload if you like.