Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alpine - 1 amp + 2 Subs

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
Hey,

How do i wire 1 amp with to 2 subs? i looked at the wiring diagram that came with subs, it says to put two wires into on ef the terminals? i am using 8 guage speaker wire and two 8 guage speaker wires will not fit in to the inputs, i just dont understand

I have

1 x Alpine Mrd-m1005
2 x 12" Alpine type x

thanx ur help will be apprecated

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
You don't need to use such large cable for speaker wire, even for subs. 14-16 awg is heaps big enough.

BTW, two type x subs need probably twice the power you are going to have from that amp. IIRC the amp is not 1 ohm stable. This means that you can only connect them to show a 4 ohm load, which will not help power output either.

Last edited:

matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Acclaim
sure it can be done. but it will damage your amp and subs and also sound crap in the mean time till they break.
you will need a mono block amp that is 1 or 2ohm stable or a big ass 4 channel amp bridged into 2 channels ( one channel per sub).

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Yes you can do it. But you will have to present a 4ohm load to the amp. This means the amp will only produce about 600wrms. Type x subs, very nice though they are, are not very efficient. With 300wrms each they will not produce anywere near their potential.

Your amp is 2ohm stable i believe, therefore one of the subs connected with the voice coils in parallel (2 ohm total) will get 1000wrms. IMHO this will be louder and clearer than two with 300wrms each. If you connect them to show a 1 ohm load, which is the only other choice, then the amp will go into protection mode and shut down. It should not damage anything though.

You need to get another amp the same for the second woofer or a single 2kwrms 1 ohm stable mono to run both.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
matrix said:
sure it can be done. but it will damage your amp and subs and also sound crap in the mean time till they break.
you will need a mono block amp that is 1 or 2ohm stable or a big ass 4 channel amp bridged into 2 channels ( one channel per sub).

kinkbike_rider said:
1 x Alpine Mrd-m1005
2 x 12" Alpine type x

did you read that?? (matrix)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
You will be severly underpowering the subs to do it safely. To do it and risk damage to your amplifier and your subwoofer you can supply them with enough power.

But, I do not suggest running that amp at a 1ohm load.

You do have one option though.....only use ONE voice coil on each of the subwoofers and then put those in parralel to the amp. This will require 1KW at 2ohms. This will give you plenty of power and be very safe until you can afford to buy another amp to run the second voice coils.

I don't think you need 8ga cable. thats overkill. Go down in cable size and if you still have trouble getting the cable on. Then, connect one speakeer up to the terminals on the first speaker.

matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Acclaim
sure did semi, whats your point?

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
OH. I re-read your post and understand what you were saying now. Thought you were just saying 'get a mono.' My bad