Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alpine Head Unit Question

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Recently I've put an Alpine IVE-W554ABT in my ute.

It has a "parking brake" wire, basically without it installed it won't let me do anything just listen to music (cant even access the setup).

According to the manual I need too:

"Connect this lead to the power supply side of the parking brake switch to transmit the parking brake status signals to the head unit"

From what I can tell, the head unit gets a constant +12V feed from the hand brake that means it won't let me watch videos, then when it registers the hand brake on (essentially grounded out, or 0V) I can watch them

Would that mean that if I borrow some constant +12V from some accessory power or something, then add a switch in the dash to kill the power, I should be able to watch videos without needing to have my hand brake on?

Any help appreciated, cheers.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
if you put it on a + wire BOOM BABBY SHE IS SHOCKED , just ground the wire.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Sounds like that will do the trick, cheers.

Got abit confused, as I think the US models must have a foot brake wire aswell, and the correct sequence of hand brakes and foot brake need to be pushed to access videos haha.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
yip its there as a safety device so you don't get distracted from watching a movie . All it does once you pull the handbrake up the switch grounds out to body so it activates it. That's what I did to mine , but don't get court its against the rules to set them that way. AND THE COPS CAN ISSUE A FINE.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
To be honest I don't want it to watch movies and drive anyway.

At the moment I haven't run the wire anywhere, but I can't access the setup menus or anything without the hand brake wire installed.

I just don't feel like pulling the centre console out haha.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
assuming its in your ve? pull the passenger side long trim off the side of the center console, from memory you can get to the wire there.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Thanks guys, all sorted now.

I've flogged the VE now, have a 4wd Hilux. Just came here because you are all fast and good for info haha.