Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alpine ilx-702D and Calais V Rear O/H DVD integration

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Hi all,

In a previous post:

... Then you could look to something like an Alpine ILX-702D or the Halo which will be able to integrate with the rear DVD. ...

I'm looking at the ILX-702D as a replacement head unit. At the moment, the DVD will not play DVD's (many other posts re this problem are around with similar sounding symptoms). It WILL play external sources (such as direct wired movies into roof Aux from iPad etc) so I assume laser has gone or something of that nature. Long story short - I believe all might be OK except the DVD reader can't read.

Fu, I also noted that DVD fixing service you noted. Thanks for that, great info).

My (eventual...) question is the integration of the ilx-702D with the factory DVD player. When we're talking integration here, what do we mean?

a) Would the rear DVD display also appear on Alpine head unit display? What about the factory module that blanks head unit display when vehicle is moving?
b) What, if any, control of the rear DVD player via the head unit.

Understand a separate Alpine DVD unit can be purchased for likely greater possibilities, but ATM would rather keep the factory DVD unit (especially if I can get it fixed for a reasonable cost).

I'm just trying to get a handle of whether it is 'worth' attempting any integration of the Alpine replacement head unit with the factory DVD player. I'm told it's likely it can be done, but is it worth possibly considerable cost.

Cheers all.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have no idea of it would all work. However after doing major work on my Calais and seeing how it’s all wired, and having an ILX702 in the shed, the wiring looks like it would be worth a go integrating it in. The only way we would really know is if someone did it.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
I have no idea of it would all work. However after doing major work on my Calais and seeing how it’s all wired, and having an ILX702 in the shed, the wiring looks like it would be worth a go integrating it in. The only way we would really know is if someone did it.
Yeah Thx Fu. Just talked to a bit of a 'wiz' kid here in Vic. I'm having the H/U fitted in a few weeks and hopefully i'll have some gossip afterwards as he's going to look at it for me (I don't pretend I can do this type of stuff myself). He's stated that there is often a GMH module that send the signal to the H/U and that can be a problem (proprietary stuff and all that), but don't quote me, I've probably got that wrong. If I can understand what he's saying with any degree of certainty on fitting I'll pass it on for others.

jasmow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
I’m looking at doing the same thing with my CalaisV (although using a pioneer unit). It’ll be a couple months of on and off work.

The screen and the DVD player themselves are separate pieces connected by a small wiring harness if I’m remembering correctly. My thinking was to ditch the DVD player functionality altogether, and wire in switched power and a video signal into the screen directly.

If anyone’s got info about the wiring for those plug, especially diagrams, It’d save a lot of time.

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
You can’t use any of the factory screens or DVD player stuff with aftermarket head units. They are all connected to the databus and expect the correct messages to be given thru the serial data line, I’ve installed new overhead screens in a couple VE Calais and they needed to be linked. I didn’t have a tech2 at the time but I did have a snap-on scantool and even it doesn’t have that function. I also got a WK caprice headrest screen to wire up to my android headunit, same issue. Would power up but refused to display anything without getting the required message from the rear DVD player. I ended up ripping the screen out and shoved an android tablet in, it was only to keep the boy happy on day trips so didn’t need to be fancy but did the job.
It’s annoying that’s how they are but it probably makes diagnostics easier

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
That maybe worth a shot, the screen is almost worthless if you don’t have the headunit or DVD player module anyway. I didn’t go that far on the WK screen I had, I could get it to power up the screen just stayed black but the backlight would light up. I’d like to know you results tho if you do attempt that

jasmow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
That maybe worth a shot, the screen is almost worthless if you don’t have the headunit or DVD player module anyway. I didn’t go that far on the WK screen I had, I could get it to power up the screen just stayed black but the backlight would light up. I’d like to know you results tho if you do attempt that
How did you get the screen to power up? Did you send voltage down the wiring harness at the head unit end? or by the screen itself

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Just on my desk at home. Once I removed the screen I saw a sticker on it with all the wiring inputs and outputs

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
I have plenty of jumper cables I use for projects like this, the screen I got was from a caprice seat headrest, the connector normally goes to the rear DVD player that mounts under the rear seat. Just used a 12v power source I have mounted under my desk. I used a known working reverse camera as the input