Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alpine or MB Quartz, Rockford

Swinghammer

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GTO, VS S3 Ute, WB UTE, J10 Jeep
I have done a week of looking and listening But I Can't decide which speakers

I Have a 2004 Monaro and a Kenwood DDX6039 HU but crap factory speakers

I have looked at a fair few brands and listened to a few too. I think I am all speakered out and need some advice please

this is what I am after 6.5 Splits Front
Disconnect rear sides
Replace the 2 factory subs on the rear shelf with 6.5 coaxials
Have already 2 Alpine 12" for the boot

Can't decide on the 6.5 Front and 6.5 Rears

I quite like these

Alpine SPR-17LS and SPR-17LP Rear

Mb Quartz DSE 216 Front and DKE 116 Rear

Rockford Fosgate P162S Front and P62C Rear

I like them all but I must choose

Any Advice you guys can give me please

Reaction score
Website
www.caraudiofactoryoutlet.com.au
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
all the brands you have choosen are ok

for the money you are looking at the EFX HDX-67 are worth looking at ($170.00 per set)as the SPR-17LS is only 70 rms they are 100 RMS and a much better sound than the Alpine.

MB are over priced, though a good speaker.

the RF would be my choose though it would pay to look at INFINITY in the reference range.

Cheers

Comes down to personal choose, I would run splits front and back... the P162s allows you to run the splits with the tweeters in the face of the speaker see pic

p162s-open.gif

They should be about $230.00 per set

Last edited:

Swinghammer

Reaction score
Members Ride
all the brands you have choosen are ok

for the money you are looking at the EFX HDX-67 are worth looking at ($170.00 per set)as the SPR-17LS is only 70 rms they are 100 RMS and a much better sound than the Alpine.

MB are over priced, though a good speaker.

the RF would be my choose though it would pay to look at INFINITY in the reference range.

Cheers

Comes down to personal choose, I would run splits front and back... the P162s allows you to run the splits with the tweeters in the face of the speaker see pic

They should be about $230.00 per set

Thanks for the reply
All are roughly around the same price RRP . around $50 diff

Only reason I didn't look at splits in the rear was , I don't want a tweeter hanging from the roof.

looking in the Rockford book I see the ones you are talking about. you can leave the tweeter intacked

What brand are these EFX HDX-67 ?

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
Thanks for the reply
All are roughly around the same price RRP . around $50 diff

Only reason I didn't look at splits in the rear was , I don't want a tweeter hanging from the roof.

looking in the Rockford book I see the ones you are talking about. you can leave the tweeter intacked

What brand are these EFX HDX-67 ?

PS the RF -P162S RRP is $469.00 not $299 like the SPR-17LS here is a link

PS posted the P162S up for you to see, as they come

p162s-open.gif

They are scosche - the EFX HDX-67

Here is the link

Last edited:

ncielens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
this is what I am after 6.5 Splits Front
Disconnect rear sides
Replace the 2 factory subs on the rear shelf with 6.5 coaxials
Have already 2 Alpine 12" for the boot

Can't decide on the 6.5 Front and 6.5 Rears

I quite like these

Alpine SPR-17LS and SPR-17LP Rear

Mb Quartz DSE 216 Front and DKE 116 Rear

Rockford Fosgate P162S Front and P62C Rear

I like them all but I must choose

Any Advice you guys can give me please

I have been running the MB Quart DSE216, with a 12" Alpine sub through an Alpine MRV-F345 amp for over a year now (had 4" MB Quart running of the head unit for rears). I was running the 4" because they were the only thing that fit in the rear doors of a WRX! Anyway, this was a fantastic sound system and I can highly recommend the MB Quart :w00t: (have bought a set for the missus car). The guys at Freeway say MB Quart over Alpine anyday.

They have a great clear sound but not too harsh (Focal can be very harsh), even the DSE216 have a great amount of bass and will play any music smoothly. A great speaker for all types of music and can really take a thrashing :cool: .
If there is only a few bucks in it get the MB Quart :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ! I just recently bought my SV6 and the stereo is going in this, the 4" are being turfed & a set of the MB Quart 6x9's going on the rear shelf (sadly no sub). The 6x9's fit nicely into the VZ commodore so may fit in your Monaro.

The only warning I have with this recommendation is you must have a decent amp to get the best out of the MB Quart's :yeah: .

If you are in Melbourne I would recommend you see the guys at Freeway Car Audio (have only dealt with Dandenong store :thumbsup: ). They did a sweet installation on my old WRX and will do some great deals on MB Quart speakers.

Sorry for the long winded reply and my two cents. Good luck with it all.

ncielens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
Sorry, just saw you are in Perth :whistling . Melbourne is a bit far to drive :p . I will dig up the ebay store (American seller) that sells MB Quart shipped to Aus for around $200 (depending on which ones you want).

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
Sorry, just saw you are in Perth :whistling . Melbourne is a bit far to drive :p . I will dig up the ebay store (American seller) that sells MB Quart shipped to Aus for around $200 (depending on which ones you want).

Why would you bother with ebay car audio gear as most of what is on there is all refurbished stuff anyway. plus they are charging huge amounts for freight from the USA about $25.00 per kg.

You can get a set of DSE-216 here for $229.00; DSF-216 -$249.00 they are a nice speaker though a bit over rated for what they are... and yes the do crap all over the SPR-17LS then again what would not.....

True about the amp... though you need that to get the best out of any speaker or sub...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
eBay? When will people start supporting local businesses? I'm sick of these companies importing their crap and then flooding the market with it only to send local businesses with real overheads and repuations down the gurgler. **** off that eBay crap and go buy locally. You wouldn't import a Pontiac GTo even though it would be cheaper then buy a Monaro would you?

Swinghammer

Reaction score
Members Ride
eBay? When will people start supporting local businesses? I'm sick of these companies importing their crap and then flooding the market with it only to send local businesses with real overheads and repuations down the gurgler. **** off that eBay crap and go buy locally. You wouldn't import a Pontiac GTo even though it would be cheaper then buy a Monaro would you?

I agrree with you guys on the ebay thing, I am not after ebay stuff. to many dodgy things happen with it.

Now getting back to the question in hand.

So I don't worry about the Alpine speakers then ?

Now I must make a choice in MB Quartz and Rockford:bang:
what about JL?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
I agrree with you guys on the ebay thing, I am not after ebay stuff. to many dodgy things happen with it.

Now getting back to the question in hand.

So I don't worry about the Alpine speakers then ?

Now I must make a choice in MB Quartz and Rockford:bang:
what about JL?

It is your choose... I personally think that the ALPINE speakers, subs and amps are OVER RATED -- especially if you take the average JOE that looks at the SPR-17LS and see the HUGE !!!! 350Watts on the side of the BOX..... When they are RATE only at 70 Watts RMS

SO how 140 Watts (RMS*2) = 350 watts sure bets the hell out of me... though it is a good marketing tool... as people dont bother to look or ask.

If you did amp these to take 350 watts = 175 RMS you would not have a cone left attached to the cage....

I would look at INFINITY before I looked at JL.. if you want CRYSTAL clear Sound Quality through the range of sound waves and a varitey of music they are way to go.

Most people don't realise that INFINITY have been making speaker, sub and amps for over 70 years!!!

And also the FAMOUS ALPINE POSTER of the 80's with the LAMBO... most if not all ALPINE DEALERS were selling INFINITY SPEAKERS and SUBS etc for these SYSTEMS.... even the LAMBO had INFINITY... WE DID!! through our ALPINE DEALERSHIP for YEARS... then ALPINE got into marketing there add ons in the early 90's with speaker etc.