Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alpine type S subwoofer

guyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY_S
hey guys just looking for some advice, im thinking of getting a sub and amp fitted into my VY stock system. Went to autobarn and JB today to get some opinions. The guys at JB suggested a really good priced alpine sub and amp package plus an external bass controller. However the sub was a Type S, i haven't heard anything good about type S products, are they really that bad?

the_duke

Reaction score
Well mate, Alpine makes good quality products, but there type s range is on the low side.

Give us the model numbers and prices they quoted you. What size Sub was it?

I might be able to make something up for you if you give me your budget.

Thanks

guyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY_S
they quoted me the sws-1243D 12" Type S sub with a mrp-M450 mono amp for $400 (not includ install and cables).If i was to go ahead my budget would be about $600-$700 (fully installed), all i want is to add a sub to the stock stereo (and have an external bass controller). I don't know a lot about car audio so im just going on other people opinions atm.
cheers

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
My mate had one Type S sub in his VS calais 5 litre. Sounded pretty lame. So he put a second Type S in there. Sounded pretty good.

So my answer is, make sure you get a 4 channel and 2 of the alpine Type S's.

Alternatively, spend a tad extra and get a Type R. They sound great.

the_duke

Reaction score
Personally never heard a type s sub.

but you will love tyhe sound you will get through this setup,

digital designs 1512 rrp of $350
and a response (jaycar) 2 X 150WRMS amp bridged to give you 500WRMS. rrp $250

:: DIGITAL DESIGNS AUSTRALIA ::

digital designs can be ordered through any autobahn store.

Thanks mate

guyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY_S
thanks for your help duke, appreciate it. ill head down to autobahn and speak to them about the subs... cheers

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Most of the time JB HI FI will cut you a good deal on amp and sub packages. I go to the one my cousin manages down here in vic, got a monoblock and a JL W3 V3 for $560 with staff discount. So a standard discount would be almost as good because staff discounts aren't that big.

But, don't buy one of those pre made boxes. Build your own. It's very easy, and you will get better sound depending on whether you go for a ported enclosure or a sealed enclosure. I went ported and made my own box. I get some insane bass from a single 12" sub.

the_duke

Reaction score
thanks for your help duke, appreciate it. ill head down to autobahn and speak to them about the subs... cheers

Depending on what autobarn store you go to, they might not no anything, but trust me they will rock your world. Digital designs also have prefab boxes, purchase one of those if your not confident in building your own. they are perfect.

Thanks

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
remember people, he's only using the stock system in his car, he doesn't need a DD sub. To be honest, just go with an alpine Type R sub. Type S are really borderline and not that great.