Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alpine type X set up

vz05 boar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
ive been looking at a set up of type x for a while now and cant decide whether to do either of these options:
- put SPX 17 Pro speakers in the four doors with either 2 PDX 4.150 or PDX 4.100 amps running them

- put the SPX 17 Pro speakers in the front doors again with either of the amps (not too sure which one yet) and then put either a 10" or 12" sub in the boot run off either a PDX 1.100 or PDX 1.600

i also would like to know if it is worth it to do all 4 doors then the sub in the boot aswell. im looking for good sound quality but do not want too much bass, thats why i looked at the 4 door option.

im sure there is something around about deadening the doors and boot, but anyway, is it a considerable difference when done?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I would go with a set in the front doors, and a 10" sub in the boot. Run them off a PDX 4.100 (100wrms to the fronts and 200wrms to the sub). Simple and effective, wont be bass heavy and relatively cheap.

Definitely look at sound deadening the doors and boot, will make a huge difference ;)

vz05 boar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
thanks a lot. what sort of place would be able to deaden for me, as im not too confident in doing it

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Where are you located?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Hmm, cant help you there.....a few knowledgeable guys from area will be able to point you in the right direction though ;)

vz05 boar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
i got a vz and i want to keep the stock headunit in it. would it be hard to rewire it to the amp ect?

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I'd run the 4 SPX-17 PRO speakers off a PDX 4.100 and run subs seperate off 1 PDX 1.600 or PDX 1.1000 depending on how many subs or how much power you wanna drive.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
To keep the stock head-unit, and still get decent SQ, you will need a good quality line out converter or processor. They basically convert speaker wires into RCA cables. A few good models off the top of my head are the Cache and Rockford Fostgate 3sixty.

The cache model comes in a 6 channel version (i.e. front, rear and subwoofer) so you effectively run 6 channels of amplifiers to your speakers / sub/s.

The 3sixty has the advantage of a 153 band equalizer, which basically means you have TOTAL control over the sound coming from the head-unit. Probably my choice if going for a SQ setup, but thats my choice.