Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternating fuel types E10 & 98?

Kiwi Lee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Cube
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. Been doing lots of research here, and am picking up my SSV Sportwagon on the weekend. I'm pretty excited if I'm honest, and will post some pics once I pick it up. I do have one question though. It's an 08, with 65,00km's on the clock, and when I test drove it yesterday, the owner told me that on his mechanics recommendation, he alternates full tanks of fuel between E10 and 98. He is an elder gentleman (about to retire), a car enthusiast, and has kept the car in completely immaculate condition. (just like his house and garage from what I could see)

What are your opinions on this, as I do find it odd? Thanks in advance.:)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
He was probably chucking in the odd round of 98 for the (slight) cleaning properties of it.

Not a bad idea, not going to hurt the car at all.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
He was probably chucking in the odd round of 98 for the (slight) cleaning properties of it.

Not a bad idea, not going to hurt the car at all.

weird as ethanol cleans better than fuel as I was told all the time from old chaps, thats what they used to clean there hands after a hard days work, and they also clean all sorts of parts in it

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Stay the hell away from ethanol fuel.

Unless you are brewing it yourself.

Last edited:

brad VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV redline wagon
Stay the hell away from ethanol fuel.

Sent from my petrol tanker.

Wow that's a informative post.. Care to explain why on a car that's built for ethanol??

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Ethanol is corrosive and it absorbs water (which eventually separates and sits in your fuel tank). Both are downsides of using the stuff. If you do some research on the negatives you will see what it can do to fuel systems of street cars over time.

E10 is on the market solely because it's mandated by Governments and as we all know Governments always get things right. They are fountains of great knowledge and wisdom. The motor industry largely opposed it when it was being mooted (because of the negatives) and they were ignored. The "green agenda" won.

Alternating between tanks of 98 and E10 is limiting the downsides of using ethanol. I guess this is what the mechanic was trying to do and it's a very good idea if you wish to use E10. He could just as easily have used 95 premium or even regular unleaded petrol to reduce the problems with using ethanol.

It's your choice what you put in your car because you pay the fuel and repair bills. I won't put Ethanol blended fuels in my cars as long as I have a choice even at 10%.

In petrol, the ethanol attracts/absorbs water from the air (water vapour). In reasonably humid coastal climates - like sydney, brisbane etc - there is a lot of it. When moisture gets into the fuel tank and contaminates the petrol it eventually builds up in the bottom of your fuel tank. (Can you flush your fuel tank? Yes - but only if you disconnect the fuel system and remove the tank from the car.) When you have enough moisture in the tank you develop a condition called phase separation where the ethanol combines with the water in the tank and settles to the bottom. Ultimately some of this contaminant fluid will be picked up by the fuel pump and run through the fuel system to your injectors.
(In addition to what occurs in your fuel tank after fuelling, you do not even know how much suspended moisture has already been absorbed by the ethanol when you are pumping fresh ethanol blended fuel into your car).

In Petrol blended with ethanol, the ethanol will also loosen up any dirt, scale etc. causing contamination of the fuel system and carry debris to the fuel injectors.

Fill a 70 litre tank with E10 and you have 7 litres of ethanol sitting in there doing it's stuff.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Ethanol is very strictly monitored from before it even reaches the fuel co, then at many stages along the way prior to and after being blended with ulp to form e10 or e85. But it is then poured down a hole and forgotten about at your local servo. If you have ever had the delight of taking the cap off a tank of e10 at a servo, the pungent 'home brew' smell that you are met with almost makes your head spin. So what was under strict quality control, is no longer.

As mentioned above, it attracts water. In Victoria we tend to have lots of the stuff. It is not unusual to have some water in fuel storage tanks, it is monitored daily and when it get to a problematic level is pumped out. However ethanol absorbs water, you do the maths. (good reason also to avoid refueling while a tanker is on site, any water or crap in the tank is being stirred up during delivery and subsequently pumped into your car, it all settle very quickly and not a problem once the tanker is finished)

You may not have noticed that e10 is no longer available at shell servos in victoria. I do not know of the 'official' reason but I'm pretty sure it would have to do with the above scenario.

Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Ethanol is corrosive and it absorbs water (which eventually separates and sits in your fuel tank). Both are downsides of using the stuff. If you do some research on the negatives you will see what it can do to fuel systems of street cars over time.

E10 is on the market solely because it's mandated by Governments and as we all know Governments always get things right. They are fountains of great knowledge and wisdom. The motor industry largely opposed it when it was being mooted (because of the negatives) and they were ignored. The "green agenda" won.

Alternating between tanks of 98 and E10 is limiting the downsides of using ethanol. I guess this is what the mechanic was trying to do and it's a very good idea if you wish to use E10. He could just as easily have used 95 premium or even regular unleaded petrol to reduce the problems with using ethanol.

It's your choice what you put in your car because you pay the fuel and repair bills. I won't put Ethanol blended fuels in my cars as long as I have a choice even at 10%.

In petrol, the ethanol attracts/absorbs water from the air (water vapour). In reasonably humid coastal climates - like sydney, brisbane etc - there is a lot of it. When moisture gets into the fuel tank and contaminates the petrol it eventually builds up in the bottom of your fuel tank. (Can you flush your fuel tank? Yes - but only if you disconnect the fuel system and remove the tank from the car.) When you have enough moisture in the tank you develop a condition called phase separation where the ethanol combines with the water in the tank and settles to the bottom. Ultimately some of this contaminant fluid will be picked up by the fuel pump and run through the fuel system to your injectors.
(In addition to what occurs in your fuel tank after fuelling, you do not even know how much suspended moisture has already been absorbed by the ethanol when you are pumping fresh ethanol blended fuel into your car).

In Petrol blended with ethanol, the ethanol will also loosen up any dirt, scale etc. causing contamination of the fuel system and carry debris to the fuel injectors.

Fill a 70 litre tank with E10 and you have 7 litres of ethanol sitting in there doing it's stuff.

I'm guessing the full tank I had from the dealer will be the last E10 ever to see my motor....95,98 only for me....always have

Kiwi Lee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Cube
Thanks guys. I think I'll stick to 98 only once I pick the car up. :)