Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternative sump options for Series 1, 3.8 V6

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
OK, give me a few days. Remind me if I've not gotten back to you in a week.

Dodgy Malc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore 3.8 V6
Hi Immortality no that's fine hoping to have engine back in car around end of the month was just checking whilst it was fresh in my mind. Cheers Malcolm
Hi Immortality no that's fine hoping to have engine back in car around end of the month was just checking whilst it was fresh in my mind. Cheers Malcolm
Hi Immortality You said to give you a reminder about the sump if I hadn't heard back from you. Any chance you unearthed the block and found the sump cheers Malcolm

Dodgy Malc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore 3.8 V6
OK, give me a few days. Remind me if I've not gotten back to you in a week.
Hi Immortality You said to give you a reminder about the sump if I hadn't heard back from you. Any chance you unearthed the block and found the sump? cheers Malcolm

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi mate,

I have found it, just not finished digging it out yet.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
OK. Dragged the old short block out from under the all the crap.

The sump is dirty but no dents or anything I can see.

20211024_155441.jpg
Sump.jpg

And yes, it was left coated in crap to prevent rust :) No rust in the bores of the old block. Don't know what to do with the block. Almost seems a shame to scrap it as those s1 VN manual engines must be getting hard to find these days.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

View attachment 228753View attachment 228754

And yes, it was left coated in crap to prevent rust :) No rust in the bores of the old block. Don't know what to do with the block. Almost seems a shame to scrap it as those s1 VN manual engines must be getting hard to find these days.

So does that mean you can charge extra for actually thinking ahead... :p

As for the block...Maybe advertise it and see if someone bites at it....That's of course you're not a horder...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nahh. The block needs to go as it's now no longer a spare for a project seeing as I've got the VT to blow up....

Originally I wanted to find an early girl Commodore and transplant a V6 into that using the entire driveline from my old T5 V6 VN. Never found a nice car at the right price and with the death of Holden prices are now ridiculous. I had a complete spare engine stripped down to a short block and pushed under the shelving in the garage. Had a complete T5 driveline spare too but sold that cheap to a mate.

Dodgy Malc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore 3.8 V6

View attachment 228753View attachment 228754

Hi Immortality thanks for digging that out. Email me at [email protected] Really appreciate what you've done. Cheers Malcolm

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sadly these old V6s are not in demand like a 304 would be. I have one sitting under a tonnneau cover at the church cottage the wife used to rent. I filled the pots up with old trans fluid to stop it seizing but could well be rusty by now. Trouble is it will cost me $20 to take it to the tip, which is just up the road or $25 in petrol to take it to Sims.
I've tried selling it for $20 and no one actually wants to make the trip out to pick up an old engine. Even if I was to offer it up for free I'd still be stuck with it.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Sadly these old V6s are not in demand like a 304 would be. I have one sitting under a tonnneau cover at the church cottage the wife used to rent. I filled the pots up with old trans fluid to stop it seizing but could well be rusty by now. Trouble is it will cost me $20 to take it to the tip, which is just up the road or $25 in petrol to take it to Sims.
I've tried selling it for $20 and no one actually wants to make the trip out to pick up an old engine. Even if I was to offer it up for free I'd still be stuck with it.
Any metal scrappies near you ?
I have at least 5 scrap dealers within 5kms and the one i usually deal with would give me around 20 cents per kilo for mixed metals. Last 7x4 trailer load I took to them had an ecotec block with crank and pistons, damaged bonnet/guards/panels/front suspension, alloy radiators, car/ alarm batteries, dishwasher and they paid me almost $240.
i only use this site for a price guide - https://www.recyclingdepotadelaide.com.au/scrap-metal-prices-adelaide