Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternatives for Bridgestone Potenzas

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
I just replaced the original RE050's with Adrenalin RE001's last week on my Mar 07 Caprice at 31,000 klms.; 245/45/R18's

The RE050's still had at least another 10,000 klms on them, but I thought that they were too noisy and wanted something quieter.

Looked at the Kumos and some GT Radials, but decided after a bit of research to go with the Adrenalin RE001's. Based mainly on claims that they were a very quiet tyre, and they were a lot cheaper than the RE00's. $440 for the Adrenalin RE001's vs $605 for the RE050's. I'm in the Canberra region (country based), and that's the best price I could get. I'd like to know where others are getting RE050's for $350...

The verdict? The Adrenalin RE001's are just as noisy as the RE050's. I'm quite disappointed in them in that regard. My Mazda BT50 ute is quieter at 100 klm/hr than the Caprice.

However, the Adrenalin RE001's handle a lot better than the RE050's. With the old tyres, I had a lot of tram tracking. The car was a handful to keep straight on the un-even country roads around here. With the new tyres, the handling has been transformed; there's only a slight hint of tram tracking everynow and then. Also, the new tyres have had exceptional grip on the recent wet roads around here.

So, from a performance point of view, I'd recommend the Adrenalin RE001's over the RE050's. From a noise point of view, I wouldn't recommend eirther Bridgstone tyre.

Not too sure what I'm going to get next....

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
a bit off topic guys but how many Kms do you rotate at? 5,000, 10,000?

I have usually rotated mine mid-service, so 7,500km, but that depends on your type of driving - mine is more 30km highway trips to work, 20% round town work, so they wear relatively even on the old VZ and new VE. I have found a bit better bargaining ability buying 4 tyres instead of 2, and I do run them to within SFA of the minimum before changing them, which might mean a few relatively low KM swaps of front to back, but thats at home (the 7,500km are at tyre place with a wheel alignment thrown in)

Nemo316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
I'll be looking at getting a different make of tyre when I have to change the ones on my SSV as I find the original tyres too noisy. What are the other popular tyre choices?

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
I just replaced the original RE050's with Adrenalin RE001's last week on my Mar 07 Caprice at 31,000 klms.; 245/45/R18's

The verdict? The Adrenalin RE001's are just as noisy as the RE050's. I'm quite disappointed in them in that regard. My Mazda BT50 ute is quieter at 100 klm/hr than the Caprice.

Not too sure what I'm going to get next....

Thanks Rjp. Just saved me a lot of money! :beer chug:
Can anyone comment on the Dunlop Sportmax? compared to the Bridgestone Potenza & Adrenalin with regard to road noise?

KARMA 6L

mmmmmm 6.0L
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SS Manual
Thanks Rjp. Just saved me a lot of money! :beer chug:
Can anyone comment on the Dunlop Sportmax? compared to the Bridgestone Potenza & Adrenalin with regard to road noise?

Guy at my work has these on his HSV and said they are pretty noisy at half tread. Performance wise seem to be ok though apparently.

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Thanks Karma 6L. Anyone else? (Moderators/members) I don't know if it exists, but is it possible to set up a tyre rating poll on this site? Something simple with make, model. size, performace, wear, noise etc...? all from members experience. I could do up a .xls speadsheet people could add onto? (Sorry; forgot price!)

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
For low profiles that are quiet and comfortable, I cant go past Falken's ZE912's. I have them on the Suby and I'm very happy. Falken also have the 452's, but they are a little more noisy (but slightly better performance). When the stock have had enough, I'll be going for the 912's for sure. I even had them put on a stock sized Honda Jazz (mrs old car), and they are really good even in 'non low profile' sizes. Quiet and excellent wet weather. Not too expensive either!

affinity

Reaction score
Members Ride
International (Dual Fuel) VE MY10 Sedan, 3.6L 4A
Thanks Karma 6L. Anyone else? (Moderators/members) I don't know if it exists, but is it possible to set up a tyre rating poll on this site? Something simple with make, model. size, performace, wear, noise etc...? all from members experience. I could do up a .xls speadsheet people could add onto? (Sorry; forgot price!)
How many polls would you have?

One for normal driving, one for performance, one for low noise...... one for city roads, one for country roads.... it goes on and on and on. Not to mention the fact that the results will be all too subjective.

I think it would be better to suggest a driving profile for requirements and then see what is suggested to meet those needs.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
I lol at people with aftermarket exhausts, lowered suspension, cams and big induction systems complaining abut tyre noise! :lmao:

GLITRES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 6 litre
Hey guys,
I work down at Bridgestone Wingfield and have now for some time.
The Adrenalin's are performance tyres, soft compound and wear alot quicker than the others.
I have 19"s on my VE Calais and my boss told me to go check out TOYO tyres.
They are cheaper, but the quality doesnt go down as much as others i his opinion.
(he has been in the tyre bussiness for over 30 years, so he should know his stuff, but it only his opinion)
Also, go down to Bridgestone wingfield, ask to speak to Dimmi, and tell him Leigh sent you. He should be able to hook you up a better price.