Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternatives for hoons?

VRNathan

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Berlina
Hey guys,

With the cancellation of Easternats, and the crack down on hoons on the road, which is a good thing, i was just wondering is there a suitable alternative?

We are forever hearing about 'hoons' in melbourne doing burnouts and driving like spastics on the road, and it goes on and on, but are the hoons of victoria offered an alternative? a racetrack? or anything like that so they can go get it out of their system and be with fellow tyre smokers.

Im down in glen waverley for those who know that part of the suburbs in Melbourne, and there's no shortage of tracks down here, Sandown, Winton's a drive but still ok, Calder, Phillip Island, but do any of these tracks offer a suitable trackday available to anyone who wants to burn some rubber, drive at speed or just have fun on a racetrack?

Police hate hoons, many people do, i can understand why, but if none of the racetracks in victoria are leading the way in offering a some-what regular way of giving people who want to drive hard a way of doing it on the track under controlled conditions, then what are the people left to do? Drive hard on the road or do a small burnout in a carpark and the consequences could be dire.

Any thoughts or opinions?

For the recording, i am perfectly aware whatever i said could be 100% P-Plater naiveness at its best.

*Also, my questions are not rhetorical, they are genuine questions not to be taken out of context.

gen3

Reaction score
Members Ride
manual vn commodor . turbo might be cool
yeah i think it could work as long as its free .... there should be one in bendigo

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Race tracks won't help. Part of doing naughty stuff like burnouts is the thrill of potentially getting caught.

VL-EXEC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
I think that this whole race track thing is bull sh*t, calder is there for those who wanna drag, and so is heathcote... the fact is if this is what people wanted they would attend... Most of the so called "hooning" is done in cars that you wouldnt even take to calder such as VR's VS's VN's VY's etc etc most stock with an exhaust and a sound system, doing little burnouts n that. The more serious people do attend calder etc etc...
I also think that an event like easter natts should be hele once a month, but people dont have the money involved to run an event similar...

Its a big subject and you could go on about the pro's n con's... however i highley doubt anything will change even with a new track set up for burnouts, dragging etc etc

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Part of doing naughty stuff like burnouts is the thrill of potentially getting caught.

I disagree. I love a skid and the motion of losing traction. But in no way do I do it for the thrill of potentially getting caught. Thats the last thing I would want to happen. I also dont like the idea of going to a track. I like a casual skid here and there that only lasts for a brief moment, long enough to get it out of my system. Not go to a track and be expected to rip it up for a lengthy amount of time. Steel belts ripping the **** out of my guards, or having to get towed home because my radiator popped doesnt tickle my fancy.

Im all in favor of finding a quiet road away from built up areas, where theres no one around to piss off, dob you in or become a threat to, slide around a bit, do some hoops and drive away at the end of it. If you have a specific burnout car that you want to put on a show with then by all means go to a track, but thats not for me.

My 2c.

SMURFTEC.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS S Commodore
this thread = lions den

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Calder isnt open to the public every weekend. Heathcote is a hole, is a fair drive away and youre likely to get defected the moment you leave the gates. Sandown doesnt open its doors for the public neither does Phillip Island (of course unless you have your CAMS license or youre in a club that has affiliations with these tracks such as the official HSV Owners Club).

I couldnt care less if like azz said, you find a industrial estate at 3 am where its empty, noone around, no danger to innocent public etc. Infact I am sure most people have gone and done it themselves. As far as im concerned, as long as your not ripping circles in suburban streets etc what you do is your own business.

svsex

big blue
Reaction score
Members Ride
190 sv6
REGULATED SKID PANS EVERYWHERE THEN U HAVE NO EXCUSE. hahaha

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Damn straight it's all about location. People who attend the illegal street drags etc. should be aware of the dangers. Speeding, drifting etc in town is stupid.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
Race tracks won't help. Part of doing naughty stuff like burnouts is the thrill of potentially getting caught.

i also don't agree. if there was a facility open most days or even every weekend i would go down and make a weekend of it with my dad and my mates.

it needs to be a circuit instead of solely a drag place, as my car has 0.6kw i would rather test myself around the corners and have room to make mistakes and not kill kittens etc.

i know there is track days available at places but it isn't on a regular basis ie each weekend at the same track.

best thing would be to have a yearly membership to a facility of a few hundred $ then pay $100 ish each day you use it.

i think that all the 'mad street racers with top skills' would go on the track, have a few big moments and get scared about what could have happened and then decided that they actually don't have skills and then will either spend more track time trying to get it right or just forget about it all and go play chess.

TBH, it would be awesome if the government got behind something like this and offered subsidised first time days for all people who are in the target demographic for being 'hoons.'

this way they could directly give 'hoons' a place to do their stuff away from the roads.