Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator going out?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Judging by this comment, yes your alternator regulator was giving you the issues.....so changing over the complete alternator/regulator would be the best solution

Got a new alternator in but am having a little trouble getting 2 of the 3 bolts in. The 2 outer bolts for the bracket only go in about 1cm before I can't tighten them by hand anymore (even without the alternator in). Can get the middle bolt in fine, tried the middle bolt in the outer threads too and it can only go in about 1cm too. Did I f!ck up the threads? I don't want to force the bolts in since it's an aluminum block.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If you got them in about 1cm before they became hard to turn then I doubt that you stuffed the thread. Cross-threading usually occurs at the first couple of turns.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
If you got them in about 1cm before they became hard to turn then I doubt that you stuffed the thread. Cross-threading usually occurs at the first couple of turns.

Just ran a thread taper through in case, got the new one in. On initial startup it was reading between 14.5-14.8v. Took it for a drive and tested again and it was in the low 14v range. I will have to test it again tomorrow. Battery itself reads around 13.5v when the car is off.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Never disconnect the battery with the car running it kills the diodes in the alternator and spikes all the electronics with dirty high voltage spikes

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
FFS, drove to work, finished, went to start car and it was dead again. Time to take it to a sparky...

Rory_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S PAC S2
Let us know how you go, hope you found assistance

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Maybe intermittent short in alternator or starter wiring.

Multimeter on a charged battery will show current flow in amps to the short.