Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Not charging battery!

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
If I've already replace the alternator with the one from ur old engine, then I can't see how getting one from a wreckers will work. Unless both alts are stuffed, still could be a wiring issue

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I'd be looking at the fusible link on the sense wire then.

Near the battery positive terminal you'll see the white sense wire coming from the alternator and the fusible link between it and the battery (should be a short brown color looking wire), simplest would be to remove it and join the white wire straight to the battery.

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon VDJ79 series cab chassis
It could just be a bizarre coincidence that both alts are stuffed, I took the wires for alt off of the other car that the alt was originally on(Sense wire/fusible link,charge wire) and put it on, as I said earlier it hasn't died instantly like it used to, I will try connecting it straight to the battery.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
It shouldnt make a difference but try using a jumper lead connected between the motor and the chassis and see if it charges...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just reading this thread, what is the voltage output at the alternator, with the car running? You have only stated what it was in the other car.... It should be 14V or there abouts....Then check the output at the battery.....It should be a similar output without everything turned on....ie lights indicators etc etc.

If you have similar output readings at both points, the alternator is fine....If not, it's a wiring problem

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
So, I have removed the fusible link and connected the wire straight to the battery, I have tried the jumper lead connected to chassis and engine but still no charge. The voltage output reading of the alternator is the same as the battery voltage.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Same as in between 13.8-14.4V or below 12.50V
What multimeter are you using, a good bainowhunglow or something better to measure the voltage?

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry for the really delayed response guys, have not had the ute in the shed as there was no room. It's only a cheap $60 multimeter but it's never failed me haha. I'm going to swap alternators with one off a car that i know works for sure, just incase by coincidence they have both **** them self. Will keep you updated, once again cheers guys!
-Zac

VT13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina V6 Sedan
I had a mate install his battery backwards in a VS series 2. The car lets you know if the polarity is reversed........the horn sounds constant as soon as you make the connection and stays on until you disconnect. He thought the alarm was messing up and cranked the engine to try and stop the horn.......bad move, fried the alternator and it's main power wire, the DFI module (coil pack base) and the main engine fuse and of course it didn't start anymore.

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
So you reckon try changing alternator and main power wire? I'll check the engine fuse, but I don't think it's damaged because I started it the other day.