Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator or something else?

Mel8517

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 holden acclaim
Last week I was driving when the dattery light came on and stayed on the next few days the light was still on and what i find strange is all 3 break lights werent working a couple days prior but then started working than the car started loosing power than died although I still had all the reds on the dash. Thinking it was the battery I replaced it didn't even last an hour. The next day I got a jump start let the car run for about 5 min than I noticed the engine bay was really hot. I turned it off. Sometimes it starts and runs for a very short period other times I have to jump start it n doesnt last for more than a minute. I know very little about the engine bay of cars but to me the things its doing just doesn't seem right to be just the alternater. Can anyone help me out with thoughts or
possible answers or solutions?

jhvh777

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy storm ute
First things first, check the coolant level to make sure your not gonna cook the engine, then get a multimeter on your battery when the engine is running, to see if the alternator is putting out a charge, 13.5-14.5 volts is normal.

If it isn't, check the wiring that comes from the alternator, for damage, and the terminal on the back of the alternator for looseness (13mm nut).

Is this a VT V6?

Mel8517

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 holden acclaim
First things first, check the coolant level to make sure your not gonna cook the engine, then get a multimeter on your battery when the engine is running, to see if the alternator is putting out a charge, 13.5-14.5 volts is normal.

If it isn't, check the wiring that comes from the alternator, for damage, and the terminal on the back of the alternator for looseness (13mm nut).

Is this a VT V6?
VX. It doesn't get overheated hot but its really hot for only running for 5min

Is this a VT V6?
thanks for your reply its a VX. there isn't any power getting to the battery which is why I initially thought the alternator, I don't really know my way around a commodore engine that well ill have to see if I can find my way. I mainly want to have a rough idea before I go to the machanic being female I don't want to get takin for a ride as I have done in the past.

Mel8517

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 holden acclaim
Let's just pretend its not the alternator or a sec what other issues could I be dealing with?

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
Sometimes when it comes to electrics, its easier to have a professional fix the problem. Should the problem be easy they can fix it straight up or if its a complicated issue then they can supply and estimate to repair. Last thing you want is to fry the electrics, a friend had this type of problem with her Jeep and the insurers wrote it odd as a repairable write off although the cost of a complete new wiring looms is more than the insurers vehicles worth.

D

devilly

a few easy test you can do, first start car run for a minute turn it off the carefully put hand on parts see if the alternator is hotter then any other part of the car. next is hold down mode and then up arrow start car then release buttons you can now see the volts on the dash 14.3 when you put stuff on like indicator, does the volts jump straight back up once turned off or does it take a while ? what's the story with the rear brake lights maybe there's the part that is draining your system is what I'm thinking.