Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator output low

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
The alternator on my VS was only putting out 13.8v. Obviously it was failing to charge the battery fast enough for normal commuting. So I replaced the rectifier (I believe) on the back and it was then charging at over 14v. After a few drives it's back down to 13.3v. Something is not right, but short of buying a whole second hand alternator, what else could I try?

sxi ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss
Before you buy second hand look at getting yours rebuilt I just has mine rebuilt last week striped cleaned tested new bearings new regulator and the slip rings machines for $210 the wreckers here wanted $195 for a second hand one with no guarantee

sxi ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss
Nope well that's in nz anyway but prices may vary in Aussie

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Is the B+ wire at the back of the alternator burnt out?

With the engine running, connect a voltmeter between the B+ teminal at the back of the alternator and the battery postive terminal and measure the voltage drop. Post up the result.

RX25SE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does seem a bit high.
Make sure the wiring to the B+ is not burned and the battery terminals are clean.
If the wiring is burned you will need to open up the loom and replace the overheated wire. There is a splice in the loom about 300-400mm from the B+ terminal IIRC.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Alright I had already bought another second hand alternator so this arvo I replaced the alternator, and the charge cable at once. Voltage drop is now 0.01 volts. That's more like it.

However, the voltage across the battery terminals is only about 14.4 volts, which then drops to around 14 as everything heats up. Isn't it supposed to be 14.7?

RX25SE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Charge rate and voltage drop are all good.

Nice one.