Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Problem.....maybe??

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
No difference between back of alternator to battery terminals, so I would say that the B+ wire is fine. Taking the alt back on the weekend and getting a replacement / refund.

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
OK, so got the car back on the road. Took the alternator back and they replaced the voltage regulator. Thrown in back on the car and nothing, no difference. Still have the battery light on.

When I put it back on I started the car in the morning, light was on. After 3 mins light went off and I drove to work. Went to leave work, started car, light went off straioght away. Got 2kms up the road and the light flickered and then came on. Around 30 secs the light went off. Stayed off for the next 10kms and as I went around a corner the light flickered and came on again. Drove another 20kms and picked up my kids. Got in the car, started fine and drive another 8kms home, with the light on.

Since then the light has stayed on and i have not driven it anywhere. Had it idling with all the electrics running flat out at the same time and the battery died after around 20 mins. So It's definately not getting a charge.

Alternator (B+) to battery cable need replacing as you guys have said? Anyone know the specific cable required?

I am not an electronics guru and cant really stand to work on them but this must be fixed! Driving me insane!

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
are you getting power to the battery sense wire in the alternator plug? there should be a brown fusible link wire at the battery which may be damaged

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
are you getting power to the battery sense wire in the alternator plug? there should be a brown fusible link wire at the battery which may be damaged

Changed the white & brown wires coming from the alternator. Changed the main wire from alternator to battery and into fuse box. All with no effect. Still has the battery light on.

There is a small block on the back of the alternator, held on by one screw. Changed that too.

Are there diodes inside a Bosch alternator?

I am totally baffled by this problem and just cant work it out. Might be time for an auto elec.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
as was said above, the brown fuse link at the battery is a common fault. check it and make sure it is connected to the battery and the black plug that is a few inches back.

Yes, there are diodes inside any alternator.

You really need to check it/get it checked properly instead of just guessing what it might be.

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
as was said above, the brown fuse link at the battery is a common fault. check it and make sure it is connected to the battery and the black plug that is a few inches back.

Yes, there are diodes inside any alternator.

You really need to check it/get it checked properly instead of just guessing what it might be.

Yeah I changed both the brown wire and the black plug. Over it, off to auto elec I go.

M1NTVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore 3.8L
i reckon its your battery, after recharging the battery the battery cells break down causing the battery acid vapours to seep through the cells, i studied this in my cert 2 in automotive and everything youve said comes down to this, let me know how you go hope it helps :)

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
i reckon its your battery, after recharging the battery the battery cells break down causing the battery acid vapours to seep through the cells, i studied this in my cert 2 in automotive and everything youve said comes down to this, let me know how you go hope it helps :)

Took the alternator to an Auto Elec and he says definately blown diode or two. Now I am having it fixed and I am also buying a new battery, just to make sure that everything is new.

Cant wait for this to be over with and fix! Hate electrical faults!!!!!!!!!!