Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Always check your fluids

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Just changed the oil as I am going away on a trip tomorrow and the car only has 3l of oil

It blows some smoke on start up but haven't noticed it when I drive. I also change the oil every 5k KMs. It does not leak from anywhere.

I was a bit surprised. The car did have a rattle on start up but now that's gone. I will definitely check it each week

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
When I read this, I thought that you could be my son. :eek:

But then I remembered he has a Kia Sorento, and wouldn't check anything before a trip..
He doesn't check his oil or tyres. That is done when he gets it serviced. But he never knows when it was last serviced. :mad:

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
That's a lot of oil gone and no smoke that I can see. The only smoke I see is at first start if it's cold but there is a strong smell.

When does the oil light come on? When there's no oil left or when the engine blows

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
That's a lot of oil gone and no smoke that I can see. The only smoke I see is at first start if it's cold but there is a strong smell.

When does the oil light come on? When there's no oil left or when the engine blows

The oil light will flash when there is close to zero oil pressure. This will usually occur during heavy braking, or hard cornering, as the oil sloshes away from the pickup. If you see that happen, add oil really quickly, the engine will soon suffer serious damage.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Does the exhaust smoke smell like oil is being burnt, or just a strong petrol odour? If you run your finger inside the tip your exhaust and it has soot or carbon, and it feels greasy, then it could be burning oil. If it is dry, it could be a sign of the engine running rich.
Burnt oil will usually blue or brown smoke, but I don’t know if it would only happen upon a cold start

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
No oil smell just a strong fuel type smell white smoke

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Just changed the oil as I am going away on a trip tomorrow and the car only has 3l of oil

It blows some smoke on start up but haven't noticed it when I drive. I also change the oil every 5k KMs. It does not leak from anywhere.

I was a bit surprised. The car did have a rattle on start up but now that's gone. I will definitely check it each week
A few months ago my daughter said her Camry had been making a rattle on start-up. I checked the oil and the same, very low, maybe 2 or 3 litres at most. Took it straight down to SCA and topped it up to required amount.
There had been no sign of oil leaks or burning oil prior. So yeah, it always pays to check more often than not. I think time just gets away from people and we just forget about these sort of things.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If the oil light comes on generally speaking it's too late (unless it's under really heavy braking etc). If you want to rely on a light you'd need a car that has a low oil level sensor like Mr24's BMW but even then I wouldn't rely on it. It also has a low coolant level warning light.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
No oil smell just a strong fuel type smell white smoke
Oil burning will smell different than fuel. White smoke is usually not oil burning. Is the soot dry or wet in the exhaust tip?