Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

am i being ripped?

Reaction score
seing as i only recently got my license, this will be my first service. So i have been quoted $149 for a major service and $95 for my radiator to be flushed cleaned and refilled with new coolant. Am i being ripped? or is this reasonable?
Thankyou.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
That seems very reasonable. Coolant alone would cost about $60.

You could hunt around and find a service for under 100 (for a V6) but if the business is repatable, theres no harm in getting it done there.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah...gotta say that sounds damn decent for a "major service" just the parts alone would be about that much...oil,oil filter,spark plugs,air filter,coolant,fuel filter,fuel treatment, trans service kit.
hmm....i wonder what their definition of a "major service" is at this place.............

Reaction score
major service includes:
- up to 5 litres of oil
- oil filter
- tune up
- 6 spark plugs
- points and labor

$149

Its VP autocare in melbourne

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
down_with_the_system said:
seing as i only recently got my license, this will be my first service. So i have been quoted $149 for a major service and $95 for my radiator to be flushed cleaned and refilled with new coolant. Am i being ripped? or is this reasonable?
Thankyou.
Look on the back of supermarket dockets.. You can get a major service done for $100.. I'll give you the number of a few places if you need em..

Even better though, do it yourself.. All of the stuff you have above is **** easy..

Save yourself heaps of money and use premium parts.. There's enough info on the forum to do it all...

**edit**.. Have a read.. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=17545

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
To be honest I charge far more for a major service as I follow the owners manual to the tee and you should be as well as some of the items need only be done at intervals far greater than what you may think. For god sake dont take the car to Kmart as it sounds like their price, most of those guys do half the job and for what you actually get you pay a fortune for!!! I tell my customers even if they do some of the items themselves "JUST FOLLOW THE OWNERS MANUAL" its that easy. Do what the book tells you and no need for usually anything else unless there are other problems! Use a good quality coolant and good quality parts not necessarily genuine and you should not have too many problems. If your getting the job done by a mechanic shop just hand them the book so they can stamp it when they are finished. Ask for the parts back as they are yours and you can check to make sure they have been changed by the coupon. And you have a leg to stand on should you need some warranty work done that wasn't done correctly!!! Hope this helps.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I pay $360 for a major service on my baby, plug change oil change radiator flush and re-tune(and obviously a load of other piss ant crap approx 5 hours is spent in total on the car)

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
what kinda car is it?? Coolant flush is farkn piss easy.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
As is an oil change, plugs, checking and correct fluid levels and lookin over your car..

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Shounak said:
As is an oil change, plugs, checking and correct fluid levels and lookin over your car..
It is easy, but have thought about the fact that some people just dont have time? I am up at 5, driving to work at 6, start work at 7, i leave work at 5, get home 6:30, last thing i want to do is service my car, even on the weekend i just couldnt be bothered.

Its not a matter of ease for some people, its a matter of wether your schedule allows it.