Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp cutting out!!

donz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
hey ppl i juz rewired my amp with 4 gauge cable and now it cuts out after about 1 min....i was using 12 gauge and it was workin fine and now i bout a 4 gauge amp kit and its cutting out...im using a Fusion Encounter FE-1002
2 channel amp...using the 4 gauge cable wouldnt be to powerful would it?
can anyone help?
cheers,
donz.

-UNKNOWN-

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VR S2 BT1 5 Speed, N13 Pulsar Vector
Check that your earth lead is earthed properly. If its not it would cause this to happen. Also bigger wire doesnt mean more "powerfull", it just lets more current flow. I think you should be using 8 gauge but 4 gauge should be fine.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
does that amp have a protection indicator on it? (little red light that goes on when something ain't right)? If so, have a look and see if it comes on when the amp cuts out. If it's only cutting out when you crank it you could be send your amp into protection when you try and feed it too much power or something of the likes... but as has been said, make sure your ground cable is grounded well (sandpaper off any paint that might be preventing a solid connection and clean it off so there's no grease or other crap).

donz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
yeh it does have the protection...the light goes red wen it cuts out...it cuts out whether the volume is up or down...i tried using a diffrent earth point but still cuts out...im gonna go to car audio excellence today n see wat they rkn...any money they will say i shouldnt be usin 4 gauge...

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
any money they will say i shouldnt be usin 4 gauge...

I'll take that bet. It may be overkill, but using a bigger gauge then necessary WILL NOT be causing your problems.
I'll take you on for a Grand.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
larger cable means more potential power, not more power there all the time. Power for the amp would be drawn in an "on demand" fashion so having bigger cable would allow you to draw more power but at lower volumes it shouldn't be your issue.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
ill take the bet too!! I need a new... dunno. Ill get a new hat. Seriously though, have you changed anything else?? Does the amp still go into protection without any speakers connected?