Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp Dropping out!

H

hocus

ok, i'm not an audio wizz at all, so i really need help!
i have a 1600 watt amp powering 2 10" fusion subs (amps only running at like half volume). now when the volume gets turned up from the head deck, the amp cuts out. any theroys on why this is happening?

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
mos likly due to cheap wiring, what size is your amp feed wire ?

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Have you set your gains properly?

H

hocus

yeah, its like 14 gauge i think?? some cheap kit i got from auto barn when i was broke and wanted it hooked up.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
also a possibility its over heating. most have a cutout switch when they get too hot will stop unitl they cool off a bit. make sure it can breathe wherever its installed/

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Your trying to pull a large amount of current through such small wiring. Fair chance that the cable is developing a lot of resistance and therefor lowering the voltage. As you turn the volume up, you ask for more power which in turns develop more resistance down the power line. As such, the amp detects insufficent power and to save itself from overheating it will switch itself off. Or, it's trying to develop more power on less voltage and IS overheating and shutting itself down that way.

Short Answer? Upgrade your power wire to 8guage minimum.