Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp getting hot since adding subs

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
The subsa re connected to indivdual channels. Its a 4 channels bridged to seperate channels.

Subs are connected indivdually to each channel. I think it may have to do with being low end amp and also under power. the amp when bridges i s 2 x 600 peak, but the subs are 1200peak so i have no way enough power to drive them.

Going ot look this weekend at getting hopefully a monoblock to drive the subs.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
PM sent to Nanos

| evaN |

mmm bass
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
just remember when comparing audio equipment, compare the rms values and not their max power or peak power or any of that other crap.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Nanos - I beleive you have been misled, just because your amp isnt rated as high as you subs certainly dosent mean the amp wont have enough power to drive them, it definately will have enough power...you just wont be getting the full potential out of the subs.

Side note - If possible dont quote "max" or pmpo figures, they are totally useless as different companies use different techniques to determine the maximum output an amp / sub / speakers produce. If possible look at the RMS ratings or even better continous ratings. As a general rule if the amp / sub doesnt have these values listed in their specs or manual its best to steer clear of that brand.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
How healthy can it be for his sub's though only giving them half their power output..?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Won't hurt the subs only running at half their rated power, as long as you don't try raising the gain to get more volume.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Yeah the amp will square wave (clip) and fry them with dc voltage if he tries to overdrive it.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
i know this, but does Nanos? that's why i was saying to him it's always best to match an amp's power output to that of your speakers, or even a bit more.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
The amp wont have "trouble" powering the subs, nor will clipping the output damage the amp at all, the subs are the one being fed a clipped signal....they will cop the damage.

The more power you give a speaker / sub, the "harder" it is to clip a signal, not saying you cant clip a signal with 2-3 times the power, but the likelyhood is slimmer.