Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp going into protection mode????

Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
My car had 2 alpine s type subs powered by the sound stream Mono block stealth 1200w amp (STL1.1200D) and it pumped hard no complants. A few weeks ago i got 2 R type subs to replace the S types and a ported box. For about a week now whenever the stereo is up around half volume or more and a song gets to the slightest bit of bass the subs cut out and there is a protection light on the mono block. Is there an easy fix or would it have to go back to the place i got the subs put in at???? (3 hours away)

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
I would call the place that installed it, explain the issue and the fact you aren't happy with the result. If you touch it and screw it up further, they won't take responsibility for it and you'll be further into shiiet.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Try and re-tune them. I have certain songs the cut my amp out for my subs, it just requires me to turn the car off and on and it's fine again.

Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Yer if i turn the deck off and on it works again till the bass comes back. Will be going into the shop on Saturday just annoying driving around with no subs and hoping its not doing anymore damage. Out of interest can anyone tell me if that amp is good to power 2 R types???

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Assuming that nothing is wrong with the amp, the amp you have is fine.

Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Looked at the subs today and found 2 wires that don't go anywhere not striped or anything i have no idea what there for. I pulled them out so i could see them wile i turned the stereo up and the stereo went full noise without cutting out. Then the bass kicked in and sparks came from behind the 4 channel amp. In the old box the plugs where on the side of the box and the new box they r on the back of the box behind the 4 channel amp. I think the amp is to close to the connector on the sub box and it shorting out on the 4 channel amp. You would think the (gew roos) would have worked this out before me. Hope nothing has been damaged

Attachments

• DSC00114.JPG
    DSC00114.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 309

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Looked at the subs today and found 2 wires that don't go anywhere not striped or anything i have no idea what there for. I pulled them out so i could see them wile i turned the stereo up and the stereo went full noise without cutting out. Then the bass kicked in and sparks came from behind the 4 channel amp. In the old box the plugs where on the side of the box and the new box they r on the back of the box behind the 4 channel amp. I think the amp is to close to the connector on the sub box and it shorting out on the 4 channel amp. You would think the (gew roos) would have worked this out before me. Hope nothing has been damaged

Sounds like the store that installed them were retards. Usually, shorting wires would cause your amp fuse to blow. Everything should be fine, providing you make sure nothing else is going wrong.

Out of curiosity, what store did the install?

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
sounds like the wires are shorting on the body of the amp. Whenever I install an amp on a box I ensure all the wires are wrapped in a conduit then make spacers for the amp to mount to, this provides an ample gap between the amp and the box..

jaime85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS
Check your ground and powers to make sure they are not shorting out. Is the amp getting hot?