Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp Mount In VY/VZ

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
MY12.5 VE SS-V Z Series Sportswagon
Guys & gals, i'm updating to a VY SS sedan and have decided that being i'm not the biggest of audio enthusiests and also that i need the boot space for emergency equipment for Fire & Rescue response, i'm gonna dump my sub (which i will be selling if anyone is up for it? Check out my specs of audio from the link of "My Ride" below) and go with just my amp and run 6x9's off it.

I need some help with the best option as far as mounting of the amp in the boot somewhere close to the speakers and still have a massive amount of room and look extremely neat. Ideas please and pictures is a HUGE help?

I would prefer to mount it high somewhere somehow but keep in mind to stop the unit from getting damaged it MUST sit upright.

P.S. being that 6x9's aren't a stock standard thing in most new vehicles, what's the best way to install them into the parcel shelf of a VY SS sedan?

Cheers.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
bolt it upsode down to the parsel shelf. will post pics if you want.

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
mount the amp/s on a mdf board covered in carpet an mount the board on the back of the rear seat

to install the speakers and run cabling for the amps the rear seat needs to be removed and the parcel shelf also,

to remove the rear seat there are two tabs near the floor on bout outer seats, pull both of these and the bottom section can be removed, the use a 13mm (if i remember right) socket/spannerto remove bolts under both back sections (outer sides center section remains) the halves need a wiggle and pull/push upwards to remove, undo the clips that hold the parcel shelf in and the remove,

speaker grills if you dont have them already can be bought from ABARN etc for bout 20 to 30 bucks, use a razor blade to cut the parcel shelf.

or for bout 100 bucks you can have the speakers fitted and grills supplied and fitted
and prob about another 80 to 100 to fit the amp

mounting the amps on the underside of the parcel shelf is a bad idea (unless you do it like phreddy) and is known to kill amps by overheating, most audio shops will refuse to install them there, unless you wish to void warranty.

post #159
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=33525&page=7
or
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=36051&d=1173772723

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
mount the amp/s on a mdf board covered in carpet an mount the board on the back of the rear seat

to install the speakers and run cabling for the amps the rear seat needs to be removed and the parcel shelf also,

to remove the rear seat there are two tabs near the floor on bout outer seats, pull both of these and the bottom section can be removed, the use a 13mm (if i remember right) socket/spannerto remove bolts under both back sections (outer sides center section remains) the halves need a wiggle and pull/push upwards to remove, undo the clips that hold the parcel shelf in and the remove,

speaker grills if you dont have them already can be bought from ABARN etc for bout 20 to 30 bucks, use a razor blade to cut the parcel shelf.

or for bout 100 bucks you can have the speakers fitted and grills supplied and fitted
and prob about another 80 to 100 to fit the amp

mounting the amps on the underside of the parcel shelf is a bad idea (unless you do it like phreddy) and is known to kill amps by overheating, most audio shops will refuse to install them there, unless you wish to void warranty.

post #159
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=33525&page=7
or
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=36051&d=1173772723

When you say like Phreddy, does he have some pics of how he has done his?
Phreddy if you are reading this can you please contribute and how me your install, provide me with some $$$ quotes on what it's cost you to do your install and where ya can normally pick up the parts from.

By the way, where is usually the best place to get the power from and where is the best place to ground the power too. This question is more for those of you who have the VY/VZ model as this is what i have and will be upgrading again very soon.

Cheers.

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
Easier way to do the grills, just order a Calais parcel shelf. Costs $130 and saves you the trouble, and potentially stuffing up your cut outs.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Here's a pic of the setup I had in my SV6. The amps are bolted down to a piece of 5mm aluminium checkerplate (works as an extra heatsink), which is hinged to the parcel shelf crossmember so it can be swung down into the "maintenance" position. The checkerplate also serves to protect the amps from stuff rumbling around in the boot. Couple of pics attached....

The checkerplate I just bought from a mob who does ute toolboxes, a bit of measuring and such, tapped some holes for the amp screws and piano hinge, and a bracket on each end to fit the screws which retain it in the "up" pozzy.

If you're keen I can set it up for you this way - not sure where you're at, but I'm in Western Sydney. We can talk some more about a quote and such later I guess.

Cheerz!

Attachments

• DSCF0074.JPG
    DSCF0074.JPG
    477.8 KB · Views: 8,425
  • DSCF0072.JPG
    DSCF0072.JPG
    450.9 KB · Views: 4,542

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
exceller8tor: best place for a gound is any place where its part of the main chassis. there are no set points. just remember to srape away the paint and use auto silicon to over the ground point. normal silicon is corrosive to your car.

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
Here's a pic of the setup I had in my SV6. The amps are bolted down to a piece of 5mm aluminium checkerplate (works as an extra heatsink), which is hinged to the parcel shelf crossmember so it can be swung down into the "maintenance" position. The checkerplate also serves to protect the amps from stuff rumbling around in the boot. Couple of pics attached....

The checkerplate I just bought from a mob who does ute toolboxes, a bit of measuring and such, tapped some holes for the amp screws and piano hinge, and a bracket on each end to fit the screws which retain it in the "up" pozzy.

If you're keen I can set it up for you this way - not sure where you're at, but I'm in Western Sydney. We can talk some more about a quote and such later I guess.

Cheerz!

Yeah unfortunately i'm in VIC myself.

What about the main power by the way? Should i just use the positive power cable i have running direct from the battery or can ya wire them up to something a little more suitable from somewhere actaully in the boot/rear area of the vehicle?

See i also have a VHF radio used for Fire & Rescue emergency response so i'd need to power that also. Ideas and pictures from anyone and everyone would be greatly appreciated as i don't want to get this wrong. Considering all the vehicle fires I have attended due to poor installation of such equipment and the fire has been started due to an electrical fault.

By the way Phreddy, are you not running 6x9's in your car? Because it looks like that checker plate sheet would hit the bootom of the speaker if you had them there.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
No Mate, I wasn't running 6x9s - although there was plenty of clearance if I'd wanted to. The al shelf wasn't quite that wide, left loads of room for parcel shelf speakers.

Cheerz.

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
No Mate, I wasn't running 6x9s - although there was plenty of clearance if I'd wanted to. The al shelf wasn't quite that wide, left loads of room for parcel shelf speakers.

Cheerz.

Phreddy, you've been a great help. Was wondering if maybe you could give me the dimensions of your material, being that we have the same shape/size it will provide me with a better idea of how i need to lay mine out.

Even though i've only got the one amp, i've still got my VHF radio base unit that coule be mounted on it somewhow.

Cheers dude.