Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp mount position/orientation

Claymore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Have just hit another obstacle, I was originally planning to mount the amp behind the rear seat (VZ commodore)... A quick check has now confirmed that infact the amp will not fit without obstructing the centre boot access. The amp is a Pioneer gm6300F, would it be ok to mount the unit on the underside of the parcel shelf? I think I read somewhere that certain amps can have problems with heat dispersion if mounted upside-down.

If this is not appropriate, can somebody suggest a position that would work without impacting too much on boot space.

Cheers, Dave

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i have my alpine mono mounted under my parcel shelf, no problems so far and it has been there for about 4 months

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
Some will say it doesn't matter, some will say it does...There are no moving obstacles and unless the amp it's self moves then you 'shouldn't' have a problem.

Here is a pic of how Phreddy used to (or maybe still does) have his in his boot...very good idea :thumbsup:

phreddy1kr8.jpg

phreddy2xp2.jpg

holden boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
thats a great idea but how much room is there if u have 6x9s in the parcel shelf ?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
thats a great idea but how much room is there if u have 6x9s in the parcel shelf ?

Depends how many amps you are mounting (and how big they are obviously). In my VT I had 6x9s in the shelf, a JL 300/4 mounted between them under the shelf and a Jaycar monoblock mounted to the sub enclosure.

Now I've got the VZ and I'm not using the 6x9s (they weren't even wired up in the VT, disconnected them after a month :p) I have both amps mounted under the shelf.

It's not a recommended mounting position, and they do get hot if it's a hot day and they've been pumping a while, but they both have thermal protection and it's never kicked in. On a cooler day they get warm. For my purposes and setup I'm not worried about them being mounted like this. If I had a bajillawatt system and I used it to demolish old apartment buildings, I might think twice about it.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
phreddys boot install is awesome

aaron.blake

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman
yeah parcel shelf should be ok but beware of how large your sub box is so it dosnt hit it lol i made that mistake haha