Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp Mounting

V

VL CALO

back of ur seat is 1 one the best places to put your amp as scott has in his vk. thats were i would put mine. DO NOT mount it to ur Sub box if ur sub gets stolen so does ur amp.

Cheers

Anthony

ViperVp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
That side mounting looks good.

There is a show on MTV called 'pimp my ride' the other week that mounted the amp on the bottom of the boot upside down.. with the cover off so you could see all the compents
then they ripped a neon in there and then made a shelf out of mdf,
and had perpex windows too see the amps with a small red glow..
looked really good .
i guess if you really wanted too you could do that. Way too much effort for me.

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold for scrap :(
Best place in my mind

Yeah that’s where I plan to mount mine, both of my mates (VP and VR) that have amps have there’s mounted upside down on the rear parcel shelf, no space wasting, out of sight and solid as a rock, and easy to run the wires unseen as well.

Also with many of the cheap amps they put out alot of heat so if your a tight ass don't mount it like this :b: , but if your not and you pay for a good amp, there will be no heat issues as there inbuilt fan will keep the heat away ;) .

Last edited:

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
you can fry your amp doing that. when you drive it hard the amp buts out heat. and heat rise and where do it go? straight back into your amp.

cheers

scott

vsberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Berlina
Yea not the best idea to have it there as xstatic said can cause some serious damage to your amp with it heating up. If my car wasnt on gas i would have definately put it on the back of the rear seats (as it is easier to mount, run cables too and doesnt require an mdf wall) but because the gas tank is there, putting it on the side was really my only safe option...

1Westie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S2 SV8
Yeah I had my sound system (poineer 5550MP, poineer kevlar 6.5" components (front) and kevlar 6x9" rear and Lightning Audio amp) professionally installed. The amp is mounted upside down in the boot under the parcel tray. I think it is the best place to mount the amp. I push it fairly hard...the missus complains that she can hear me coming from the bottom of her road. The amp has never shown signs of over heating however the Lightning Audio amps have a optional bolt on fan which I installed so whenever the stereo is running the fan is running, I'd suggest if you plan on installing an amp under the parcel tray (either right way up or upside down) that you fix a computer fan to the amp or to the parcel shelf and wire it in to the power supply of the amp.
Otherwise you will more than likely end up with chunk of aluminium and some circuit boards as a door stop.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
thats a good idea never thought of that, but it all boils down to you, if you want to put in under the parcel shelf to save space go for it, but just be aware that it can cause damage. another reason i put mine on the back of my seats was it was easier to hook the thing up and adjust the settings if i want to. i don't take a liking to be half hanging out the boot of my car installing an amp.

cheers

scott