Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amping my speakers

M1NTVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore 3.8L
hey all as the title says i just want to know what i have to do to amp my speakers, im pretty good at the mechanical side of cars but not the best in the sound department.. any advice/tips on what i have to do would be awesome :) :beer chug:

ShawtyNate

In the feels.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well what do you need to know? all you need is a head unit with front and rear RCAs, a 4 channel wiring kit (or 2 if you get spliters) and a 4 channel amp. I ran new wires from the speakers to the amp.

M1NTVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore 3.8L
ive got the wiring kit and the amp as ive got subs, but i dont know where/how to hook the speakers up to the amp.. do i disconnect the speaker wires and run it to the amp? like im hooking up subs?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
ive got the wiring kit and the amp as ive got subs, but i dont know where/how to hook the speakers up to the amp.. do i disconnect the speaker wires and run it to the amp? like im hooking up subs?

Yep, pretty basic. You can cut the speaker wire at the back of the headunit, then extend it to the boot or wherever your amplifier is to make it a bit easier.

M1NTVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore 3.8L
ahh, so from where the speaker wire is at the head unit i cut it there then re wire it all the way to my amp then from the amp to speakers is that what your saying?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
No.
You need to run a speaker cable from your speaker to your amplifier.

Your speaker is located in your door (I assume) and it's annoying to run a new speaker cable into the door. You can cut your stock speaker cable, and extend it to the boot by soldering on another length of speaker cable. This isn't the best way to do it, but it's fine for basic systems.

I suggested you cut it behind the headunit as it's an easy place to get to. You can cut / extend it from wherever you like, or you could run a new cable all together.