Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ampp!!?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ok mate, some people will disagree with this but generally most main stream brand will be priced closely for comsumer competition. alpine, rockford, clarion, pioneer ect... they are all slightly directed to a certain product focus. rockford stuff usually will be more power, wrms / alpine is more visual with a focus on quality / pioneer are probably one of the more rounded companies and they do a good job of supplying the power with some quality.

really though, you are powering a sub. its lower frequencies and the distorsion and hence quality is harder to recognise. you will need to get power to the subs with as high a possible effficency.

please dont take this personally, i want you to be happy, but spending 500-600 on an amp for a type R alpine is silly. spend as little as you can on an amp for such a sub. spend the resat of deadening the boot and car. you will get a better sound from that than spending big on an amp worth 150%-200% of the subs price.

since it is only 500Wrms i would not be too worried about what class it is.
why spend extra on a 1 ohm stable amp? why even suggest an amp like that. it is overkill.

just get an amp. go jaycar if you want to spend little but retain quality and reliability.
spend a few thousand on a class a amp handcrafted in wherever, but there will be stuff all sound quality improvement over something much cheaper.

scolari

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore sv6
garfa so your saying i should buy Precision Response Car Amp 2x150WRMS
bridge it at 4 ohm and run it 1 x 500 wrms? is that alot of car installers i have spoken to have said to try and get a stronger amp at around 700-800 rms what do you think?

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
yer something like a 1500w mono is definetly an overkill for your sub, but it will power the sub effortlessly and it will leave the option there to add another sub if desired in the future. i think you really need to consider what you want now and possibly into the future as once you add bass more often than not you will want more and more. if you think the 1 sub will sort you out and you want to stick to a realistic budget, def get into something suitable from the response range

scolari

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore sv6
i never said i wanted a 1500 rms mono i said around 600 rms i dont think i will want to upgrade seeing i used to run 2 pioneer subs not exact sure of wattage or anything just know it was $600 in a ported box from jb. i'm thinking i might buy the 2 chan and bridge it that way if i do want to upgrade in the future i can use it to power splits when i buy them and upgrade to a bigger mono. i think that might be the smartest solution for now

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
well the type r is rated to 400Wrms so 700-800 is a lot of extra power not getting used.
all i was saying is that there is no point in buying a $50 sub and a $1000 amp. (thats a bit exaggerated, but you get the point)
which 2 channel are you speaking of, response or cadence?

scolari

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore sv6
the cadence sorry only because i like the look of it and will suit my custom boot better haha