Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

amps and splits

orbisfactor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Wagon V6 Manual
just bought a Response Precision (4x100wrms) amp today, gonna have splits connected to channels 1/2 and coaxils on channels 3/4. the amp has built-in crossovers, but no outputs for tweeters, just outputs for speakers. question is how do i go about connecting the splits if the tweeters don't have an obvious place to be connected to?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I have never installed splits, but I think they should come with a seperate crossover, so you run the wires from the speaker outputs on the amp to the crossover, then the tweeters and woofers from there

orbisfactor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Wagon V6 Manual
ok, yeah splits came with crossovers. but it still puzzles me as to why the amp doesn't have the outputs for tweeters if it's got built-in crossovers, i'm sure i've seen it on other amps. i guess i'd set the crossover on the amp to 'full' instead of 'highpass' or 'lowpass'

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
You set the amp to LPF for use with subs, or HPF can cut the bass out of the speakers if you are using subs.
Set the crossover to FULL if you still want bass through your speakers

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Your thinking about this the wrong way around :bang:

The amp has a crossover for high/low for sub use.

Put your splits off one of the channels. Set it for high pass and connect the + and the - to the input terminals on the crossovers for your splits. This crossover just seperates the midrange and the high range sounds that go the woofer and the tweeter respectively.

So in the end you have tweeters = high sound
woofers = midrange
subs = base

As Philthy said, you can run base through the channels buy switching the filter through to LPF

50LTRv8

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
If i was hooking this up and if the crossovers allowed it I would connect all 4 channels of the amp to the splits. A lot of crossovers allow for bi-amping, letting you use 2 channels per side (though this is not technically biamping, but thats beside the point). This way your mid will get the full 100w and your tweeter would be set accordingly. You'd have to be careful when setting the gains tho. You can then set the high pass filter on the amp to somewhere around 100-120Hz and the crossover would take care of the rest.

As for the coaxials, I would just run them from the head unit. I'm sure heaps of people will disagree with me, but I think it will sound a lot better, so don't knock it till you try it!