Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another Headunit Thread.

dumpedvs

sheppa8
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S
Hey guys, Im after a new H/U for my system.

Must have: 3 pre's
Time Alignment
USB/Ipod control, aux aswell preferably

My main aim is for SQ, so the more settings the better. My budget is around $400, I dont really want to go over if I can help it.
I was looking at the 2012 Pioneer DEH-80prs. Its yet to be released in Aus and would retail for truck loads anyway.
Id buy one from the states but I really dont want to wait for it. If I got express shipping that would blow my budget out of the water.

So if anyone has some opinions on what to get that's available in Aus, Feel free to let me know.

Cheers.

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I have an alpine Ida-x305s with all that and more. Colour screen, rear ipod in, so easy to navigate through 3000 songs on my ipod. I love it :) I think it's on special for 399 at the moment as well on the alpine website.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
With both those headunits you will need either PXA-H100 or PXA-H800 to get time alignment. As well as your headunit.

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Peoples idea's about sq vary greatly. One head unit against another, in the same price range, you won't pick an audible difference, well, most won't. If you asking advice on which head unit to get, your probably one of those people. 3 pre outs (what for, i'm assuming rear pre out) so throw in rear speakers, and usb interface, and you've lost me on the whole sq thing, especially on the usb side of things.

As mentioned above you'll need an external processor for the entry level Alpine units if you want time allignment. This doesn't mean don't but the head unit now, and the processor later. But only buy it if it's what your after, and you think your going to be able to make adjustments that will actually improve the sound, it's very easy to go backwards when given so many tuning options.

If the above doesn't sound like you, then a good unit in your price range would be the Kenwood KIV700, Kenwood KIV-700 Car Multimedia Hub - ($418.85)RYDA Car Audio

dumpedvs

sheppa8
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S
Cheers for the reply's everyone. I went to a couple of shops today and had a look at the CDA-117E. In both shops they were about $700.00 lol.
Its a good looking unit and is IMPRINT ready which is handy I guess. Apparently they have been discontinued with the new one thats out.
For half the price it is retail thats not bad.

It has time correction, whats that?

Im thinking either Alpine or Pioneer preferably just because I trust the brands and are both highly reputable.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Alpine is highly over rated for price and Pioneer isn't far off. What is it exactly you plan on doing with your car? Are you looking at entering SQ competitions? Time alignment will be a big killer and to be honest in a daily driven car not really worth the cost.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
What's wrong with the Kenwood i linked? It's a "reputable" brand as you put it, in fact they've made some very good units over time....You'd be silly not to buy it just cause it's not "Alpine" or "Pioneer"

dumpedvs

sheppa8
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S
Well I kind of want both, Good SQ but then plently of room for some decent DB's

So far Ive got:

JL Audio C2-600 Components

JL Audio VR600-CWI (unsure if using)

JL Audio G4500 4 channel amp

2x Rockford Fostgate P2D4-12 subs, in custom ported box.

Kenwood KAC 9104D Mono block.

All yet to be installed as I am waiting for a headunit.
To be honest I havnt had anything to do with Kenwood H/U so I dont know anything about them/quality.

Cheers for the replys one again.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
What's wrong with the Kenwood i linked? It's a "reputable" brand as you put it, in fact they've made some very good units over time....You'd be silly not to buy it just cause it's not "Alpine" or "Pioneer"

Looks pretty good to me.