Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another mechanics are F!#*ed thread

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Sorry people, please indulge me with a rant.

I hate allowing other people work on my car. Here's an example of why.

I had some work done on my car today by one franchise of a suspension retailer/workshop that shall remain nameless other than to say that a toro rosso features prominently in their branding.

The work to be done was:

1)Fit all new rear suspension bushes.
2)Fit new front strut inserts.
3)Fit one new front wheel bearing.
4)Replace one front strut housing/stub axle.
5)Carry out a wheel alignment.

All parts supplied by me.

Pretty basic I would have thought.

Task 1) was ****ed up by pressing in the front bushes on the rear lower control arm without using a support on the open side of the "U". The result: two chewed up control arms. Neither of the bushes were properly aligned either. The bushes are twisted at ride height, meaning that they have been tightened with the axle hanging.

Task 2)/3)/4) was ****ed by leaving one of the brake hoses twisted ie. the brake caliper will have to come off again to fix it and it is dangerous to drive.

Also, and this really ****es me off, they "found" extra work that "needs" doing:

"The steering rack is leaking and needs to be replaced." Yes, it's leaking. FROM THE LOW PRESSURE UNION INTO THE RACK TOWER. The 'O' rings to fix it are sitting in the console of the car right now. $8 vs $625 for the rack. (Know it's the 'O' ring because I caused the leak when I moved the union to fit extractors).

"The driver's side tie rod end needs replacing." Well, it didn't when I had that tie rod end off to replace the castor rod on Sunday.

"The strut bearings need replacing." Considering that they were replaced <10K km ago, I don't think so.

They also overcharged, in my view, although I wouldn't mind that if the job was done properly. Needless to say, i won't be going back but I'm not sure if I can be bothered to even make an angry phone call.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
That is woeful Cheap6. I think the no bull shop in question likes to only deal with people who are mechanically not inclined........and those that are should take their cars somewhere else.

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
that's mechanic's for you i had a certain tyre power outlet quated me $1500 for new front end bushes and tie rod end's adusting the hanbrake and new windscreen plus a couple of bulb's!!!!!! windscreen done for $200 paid $100 for bushes tie rod ends and globe's and did it all myself hmmm $1500 or $300..... when getting a rwc dont just take the car in and get it all done get a quate so you know what need's to be done first

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Who says the person/s that did the job are qualified? As long as there is a suitably trained person that works there, the actual person doing the job doesn't need to be qualified. The problem is, with most suspension places, a mechanic is over qualified to work there. They will not pay premium rates to a trained technician when they can employ anybody that can pick up a spanner.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Thanks for the empathy guys. I feel better now. I normally do everything myself but don't have access to a press atm, to do the bushes, at least they would have the right equipment and I figured that they might as well do the lot, if I have to give up the car for the day/find time. Now I have to do half of it anyway, and buy new rear control arms, and still find someone (else!) to swap the bushes.

(I am not assuming that all of the franchisees of the brand in question are this poor. That wouldn't be fair.)

This is not the first time I've experienced something like this either. I had a tie rod end replaced (on a different car) some time ago which I gave to another workshop to do only because I didn't have a grease gun and it was cheaper to pay someone else's labour than to buy one. I got the car back and, cynically, checked the grease nipple: dry. WTF? I pointed this out to the guy on the service counter and he told me that they don't have a grease gun. Again: WTF? They didn't say anything, they were just going to let me drive around with the tie rod end dry until it failed. They eventually had to borrow a grease gun from the workshop across the road

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The tie rod end would have been pre packed with grease when it was made so I doubt you would have been driving around with it dry. Most ball joints and tie rod ends now don't even have grease nipples.

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
The tie rod end would have been pre packed with grease when it was made so I doubt you would have been driving around with it dry. Most ball joints and tie rod ends now don't even have grease nipples.

you can still get ball joint's/tie rod ends with grease nipples, i always specifficaly ask for ones with grease nipples otherwise you just get the crap ones,

also i took my car to get an split in my muffler welded, then my car started playing up, and after a day of two wouldn't go, turn out my computer is stuffed, why? the drop kicks didn't disconnect the battery terminals, they claim they put a surge protector on the battery terminals, but as far as i'm concerned if there is even the tiniest bit of voltage flowing through the car, a powerful boot can follow the wires to the computer. you must fully disable the power circuit by disconnecting the battery terminals.

a lot of mechanics the days are all maybe's and could be's and i dunnos,

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec

Actually, no. The grease nipple was left separate (not screwed in) in the package with no grease in the joint.

Yes, most (damn near all) are sealed these days but there are still older vehicles around and (light) trucks, 4WD's etc. that have the non-sealed type. Then there's steering boxes...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
you can still get ball joint's/tie rod ends with grease nipples, i always specifficaly ask for ones with grease nipples otherwise you just get the crap ones,

also i took my car to get an split in my muffler welded, then my car started playing up, and after a day of two wouldn't go, turn out my computer is stuffed, why? the drop kicks didn't disconnect the battery terminals, they claim they put a surge protector on the battery terminals, but as far as i'm concerned if there is even the tiniest bit of voltage flowing through the car, a powerful boot can follow the wires to the computer. you must fully disable the power circuit by disconnecting the battery terminals.

a lot of mechanics the days are all maybe's and could be's and i dunnos,

By this reasoning, you would also need to disconnect every earth on the car too as these would transfer voltage. 17 years of welding exhausts without disconnecting the battery and I've never stuffed a computer. The only thing that has gone wrong was blowing the glow plug diode on a Diahatsu Rocky. I would say it was coincidence that your ECU packed it in.