Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another question about Cruise Control not turning on...

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
I have a VX Series I VX Executive Sedan I bought about 4 years ago...only had 128K Log Book verified when I bought it and the first thing I did with it was to fit Cruise. I bought all the required parts, read every thread here a the Forums that I could find about retro-fitting cruise.

I found the car had the correct Wiring Loom in the Engine Bay, plugged it in, screwed the Module down, added the throttle cable and routed it to the Injection link on the Inlet Manifold. Then replaced the basic Blinker Arm with the Cruise Control Unit [yes, the C/C socket was hiding on the top of the Steering Column under the (removed) 2 part shroud plugged it in. From memory, the Display already had the globes for C/C fitted [cause I can't remember fitting them] Then when I went to fit the additional switch to the brake pedal switch bracket...from memory again...it was too difficult to actually fit it in the bracket and I never actually did fit the switch nor connect it, but for the purpose of testing my work to that point in time, I made a short "Jumper Lead" to connect to the 2 wire terminals that were supposed to be connected to the C/C fail-safe switch spade terminals...and the ssytem worked as it was supposed to. I wasn't that bothered about having the 2nd switch operable [my reason being it was too difficult for me to physically be able to work in the limited space under the dash....just too much of a fat bastard with old bones that really made it difficult to manoeuver in such a way as to be able todo what needed to be done...so I never did it.

As I said...the cruise actually worked as it should. Turn it on when doing plus 40kmh..adjusting speed up and down worked, so did cancelling the cruise being activated and it certainly cut off the working C/C when the brake pedal was pushed...all in all...no problems!

But 2 weeks ago I went on a long trip [380kms each way] and about 2/3 of the way there..the cruise just cut off. From then on...have great difficulty actually turning the cruise on...hit the switch...and nothing most every time although now and then..it did actually turn on. Once it was on...it stayed that way for various lengths of time [but never did it stay on till I turned it off or shut the car down as it used to do]. I read the threads again...then my best guess was the Blinker Arm itself was worn out and causing the problem. I checked all the fuses and relays that I could find [under the dash I found a 15A fuse for the C/C which was still OK and in the Engine Bay I took the cover off the Electrical Box...but could see nothing that appeared to be C/C related] Bought a new Blinker Arm from fleabay [cheapo Chinese junk that was so poorly made] the plug on the new arm would not fit into the socket on the steering column. Complained to seller, [who was great, actually sent an Express Post replacement] waited a few more days, the arm arrives and it wasn't much better, but I was able to see where the flaw in the product was and managed to fix it...so all connected and refitted...out for a test drive...still the same problem.

All of this detailed ramble so I can get to the pertinent question...I'm hoping someone can tell me [someone who has had to fix this problem themselves] does the switch for the brake lights need to be adjusted by scewing the switch away from the engine bay...or towards the engine bay? Am asking as I hope that I'll be able to accomplish an adjustment simply by "feel" rather than by actually getting a view under the dash and visibly watching what I am doing. Have no one that is able to help me and it really is a daunting task for me [knowing the difficulties I had originally fitting the unit in the first place

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Not turning on could be low resistance in the brake light curciut. Could be globe out in the tallish or parcel shelf.

It's 1 idea to check
example: moving from full glass bulb to led screws the load the systems sees. Adding say glass bulb in the parcel shelf adds thr load back in.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I found when l retro fitted the cc to my vt, that if l (can't really remember if up or down as was years ago) lowered or raised the steering column, l could actually see the brake stop, cc switch, at eye level with the steering column & bottom of the dash, was able to get my hand in between without having to get on my back & look up.
Made it so easy.

Hope you understand what l'm saying?

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
Hey Lex...me comprendè ! As well have no LED lights and did check for non-working globes...