Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another VE oil thread...sort off :)

pizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 Sportwagon
I have been following with great interest the threads on oil consumption.
I have a 2011 VE series 2 SV6 Sportwagon with an LLT engine...that has just clocked 60,000k.
Twice since I have owned the car (around 10 months),I've noticed oil levels to be low.
The 1st time the "Check Engine"warning light came on the oil level was down 3.5 litres,the 2nd time (2 days ago) the "Check Engine" warning light came on and I only needed to add 1.75 litres of oil,but after adding the oil the warning light stayed on..
My car was booked into the dealers today for a 60,000k service,I also mentioned the low oil levels both times it occurred...
The guy at the service counter told me the "check engine" warning light does not come on if the motor is low on oil,
I replied the 1st time the engine was down 3.5litres the light went off after adding the oil,this time it didn't.
So after servicing the car they updated the software in the ECM..
The receipt says " updated the engine and transmission software for oil consumption "
It was explained the software update should reduce or stop oil blowby...
Well lets see if this does work,I will be keeping a very close eye on that dipstick..
Cheers

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
don't know how an electronic change will affect a mechanical event

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
As weird as it might seem, I think I've read something like this a while ago, may have been related to slight valve timing change? but I can't remember the detail that was given at the time. I couldn't believe it myself when I first read it, but with the electronic controls on engines now down to affecting valve timing etc. maybe there is there is something in it.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
well maybe, especially with cylinder shutdown, solenoids on lifters, interesting thoughts,

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
So after servicing the car they updated the software in the ECM..
The receipt says " updated the engine and transmission software for oil consumption "
It was explained the software update should reduce or stop oil blowby...
Get back with an update please!

"Oil blow by"?
I thought blow by referred to un-burnt fuel/exhaust gases in the ignition chamber passing the cylinder rings and into the crankcase producing gas in the sump?

If you're getting serious blow by resulting in the loss of 5.25 litres of oil in 10 months over less than 15,000 km's then that oil has got to be going somewhere or causing some damage to the intake and upper engine and possibly the exhaust valves and catalytic converters, resulting in a noticeable performance loss, poor acceleration, reduced fuel economy and maybe engine temp problems.

No oil leaks anywhere, not even the PCV valve circuit?
That's a LOT of oil loss!
I'm confused.

:hmmm: :confused:

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i be checking for slugde known problem with alloytechs

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
The software update changes downshift profiles (auto only) and engine fueling/timing on deceleration which stops it sucking oil back through the PCV. I've seen good results with it.

It's not blowby (blowby is excessive crankcase pressure due to poor ring sealing), but my educated guess is the valve timing events and decel fuel cut on decel are leading to high levels of vacuum in the intake causing oil to be sucked via the PCV.

pizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 Sportwagon
I will be moving back to Victoria from NSW in the next week.
I intend to use a drive your self furniture truck or tow a trailer,
If I go the trailer,it will mean 2 trips (3,500k) back and forth so it will be an excellent time to monitor oil levels I think.
I will keep you posted..
Cheers

pizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 Sportwagon
Since I first posted my oil problem and the dealer flashed the ECM I have done around 5,000 k...from NE Victoria to the Central Coast NSW 5 times
I have been checking the engine oil level twice a week and the oil level on the dipstick hasn't changed,
I've noticed when I back off to stop at a traffic light etc,the car does seem to roll further before dropping back a gear or 2..slightly different from before
I want to run with this service the full 15,000 k...I'm interested to see how oil levels etc hold up...or...will i still see oil disappearing on the dipstick from about 8,000k onward