Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

antifreeze or water in your radiator ?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
no you dont have to use anti freeze, i only used it in my car when went to he snow. It dosnt get cold enough here to warrant anti-freeze.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
There's no need to use anti freeze unless you live in an extremely cold area. If you need anti boil you have other issues. Just buy a concentrate (green stuff) that has a rust inhibitor. Mix that with tap water and do a flush every now and then.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
There's no need to use anti freeze unless you live in an extremely cold area. If you need anti boil you have other issues. Just buy a concentrate (green stuff) that has a rust inhibitor. Mix that with tap water and do a flush every now and then.

Don't be misled by the term anti-freeze. To quote: "I'm sure that you've read or heard somewhere before that water is the best coolant. This is true as far as being able to absorb heat for a given flow rate, water does do that the best. Water also boils at a lower temperature than other coolants and can develop steam pockets easier, so it's not the best coolant in that respect. A water / ethylene glycol mixture (anti-freeze if you like to call it that) will boil at a higher temp and resist steam pockets better than plain water, the downfall is that it has to have a higher flow rate, but that is easy to accomplish" (modern engines that recommend ethylene glycol already have the necessary higher flow rate).

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.

Don't use normal tap water use distilled water will save you having to pull out your dash when your heater core shits itself:cry:.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
water will allow the inside of your radiator and engine to corrode, is will then flake off and clog your radiator.
coolant will slow this down a hell of a lot.
I had a 1967 6 clyinder landrover that always had collant and it was clean inside.
Christ knows how many times it had been around the clock.
It was that old the rocker shafts had worn about 1mm

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
water will allow the inside of your radiator and engine to corrode, is will then flake off and clog your radiator.
I had a 1967 6 clyinder landrover that always had collant and it was clean inside.
Christ knows how many times it had been around the clock.
It was that old the rocker shafts had worn about 1mm

wow theres your proof mate, tap water has to much mineral content and will stain the internals like a toilet cristan or kettle.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon

Of course you must run a rust inhibitor, but the question was should he run anti-freeze, answer is no if he dosnt live where it goes below 0 degrees.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
question was, anti-freeze or water.. my vote is anti-freeze

mookschank

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
If you have *good* water, ie not crap full of lime then just use that. From NZ im sure the water will be great?

And for the cost, inhibitor is a no brainer, just get some from kmart or something. Or if you want genuine, look at the genuine bottle, read the genuine ingredients, (% mixes), then go to kmart and get the same as genuine for less price....

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
distilled water $5 for 5 litres, when you spend $25 bucks on coolant why cheap out on the last $5?:bang: