Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any Engineers/Engineering Students on here?

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
I believe its a under payed profession for the qualifications needed.

Mate you must be getting the raw end of the deal.

As far as im aware, engineers working amongst resource and minerals companies are among the highest paid uni graduates.

I could be wrong though!!

Cheers,
-Whiting

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Mate you must be getting the raw end of the deal.

As far as im aware, engineers working amongst resource and minerals companies are among the highest paid uni graduates.

I could be wrong though!!

Cheers,
-Whiting
Not every strand of Engineering lands you in a Mining Engineering job. Besides, mining's taking a large hit atm.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Not every strand of Engineering lands you in a Mining Engineering job. Besides, mining's taking a large hit atm.

Spot on. I'm working in mining/industrial and if I was a mining engineer i'd be getting a lot more than what I do as an electrical engineer.

The pressure at work with announcements regarding layoffs and such is really bad

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
Spot on. I'm working in mining/industrial and if I was a mining engineer i'd be getting a lot more than what I do as an electrical engineer.

The pressure at work with announcements regarding layoffs and such is really bad

How do the CHEMICAL Engineers fair in terms of pay?

Cheers
-Whiting

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
How do the CHEMICAL Engineers fair in terms of pay?

Cheers
-Whiting

Not sure. If you sign up to APESMA (do a google) as a student which is free; they send out a newsletter and they show the highest paid engineers. I also suggest joining engineers australia as a students (free also) you get all sorts of discounts.

I'm starting to write my CER's to get chartered status

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
APESMA is full of crap, they are just a nonsense union, and most of the cases in the private industry, you are employed under a common law contract, or in the good old days, an AWA.

I also think Engineers Australia is a bit of a wank as well, the chartered status doesn't carry as much weight as the CPA status that accountants can obtain and is just used by IEAust to puff up its own sense of self importance.

Mining Engineering FTW. Even through this downturn, there is still more than enough jobs to go around, as there weren't enough mining engineers to go around in the first place :D

Mack, depends what type of engineering you do. If you place yourself in a smaller strand, then you can command big dollars as your skills are sought after.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
How can you get an electrical engineer's job if you aren't an engineer ? (requires 4 year Bachelor's degree).

in many cases, the same way you can become a sanitary engineer without a degree. a lot of jobs add 'engineer' onto the title to make it sound good.

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
Im doing electrical engineering in Whyalla while working with OneSteel. I work from 7:30 - 4 normally, but 3 days a week i finish work at 3 and go to uni till 6. Its a bit hard to be motivated, but OneSteel pay my uni fees, pay for all my books and ****, and pay me good wages for working for them. The only downside is that the degree will take about 6-7 years instead of the usual 4.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Im doing electrical engineering in Whyalla while working with OneSteel. I work from 7:30 - 4 normally, but 3 days a week i finish work at 3 and go to uni till 6. Its a bit hard to be motivated, but OneSteel pay my uni fees, pay for all my books and ****, and pay me good wages for working for them. The only downside is that the degree will take about 6-7 years instead of the usual 4.

Are you doing one of the cadetships? How's it going? I'm engineer with Hatch at the steelworks too. You are the third person from Whyalla on JC!