Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any Guitar players out there? Tips/advice, easy songs to help out the beginners

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
ive been told to go to some timber place in kilsyth actually. maybe ill go have a look. expecting this guitar to cost me about $4-500 in parts.
for a decent setup it could be a lot more then you excpect the only cheaper way to get out of it is wind your own pickup's

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
bugger that. $140 delivered each per EMG-81 pickups. so 280 on pickups, 90 on a neck, and whatevers left on the body and bridge.
grennan, basically after the price of a piece of wood i can cut to shape, or a pre cut explorer body. not sure what type of wood

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
EMG-81 pickups are the way to go, the sound they throw out is unreal

glad you liked the paint job, you dont see many like that around

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
most hardwood maple sound's good
when i was making then we were experimenting with vic ash and tasmanian black ash both sounded unbeliable
emg 81's are the way to go for a metal sound dont forget you will need the pot's (volume treble etc) also lead jack,strap button's and it depend's if you go active pickup's or not.
as for the neck some dont have fret board's on them or tuning key's and are usally blank so you can shape the head yourself
i made a fender telecaster shape guitar from scratch a few years ago....mmmm black with active emg 81's then i wound my own custom pickup's that ran very hot and i didnt need my distortion pedal then lol

Holden2gether

The short,chunky fella
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
I have been making electrics and acoustics for the past 15 years for customers but have just begun making Archtops so am getting away from the electrics but...
most hardwood maple sound's good
Don't want to use maple on the body!, it's too dense and will give you a really thin, weak sound. Much like Dolly Parton....All top end no bottom :D (not to mention the weight of it!!)If you are making an explorer type then go for something like Mahogany (it's what Gibson use for this guitar), Sapele is the best and will give you a nice warm thick sound, but other types of Mahogany's will do the same. If you buy a ready made neck then go for a Rosewood fingerboard if you want that mellow thick sound.
It's amazing to think that on an electric where the sound comes from the pickups that the timber they are screwed too can make so much of a difference, but I spent a fair bit of time experimenting with what types of woods produce what type of sounds so Mahogany would be my choice.
Research also some of the Australian woods (Tasmanian ash e.t.c as Jet Pilot mentioned), I've never used them but they are very good I believe.

BTW...I get the feeling this thread has been Hijacked, sorry M5VT2 :whistling

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
get a nice fat piece of mahogany for your explorer, with a maple cap, thats how most gibsons are designed.

edit: ha just read the above post whoops

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
BTW...I get the feeling this thread has been Hijacked, sorry M5VT2 :whistling

Nah thats alright mate, its good to see there are some real keen guitarists out there, also good to have a thread for everyone to ask questions

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Ahh i wouldnt suggest thunderstruck first, theres no way a beginner would be able to do the hammer ons or whatever they are straight off the bat. If you wanna play something like thunderstruck play Blind - Korn they have pull offs (ignore the 7 string mumbo jumbo and play on ther 6th) or even The Beautiful people - Marilyn Manson, then move up to Thunderstruck maybe. Thing you gotta learn with Thunderstruck is timing and being able to mute the other strings.

i was kidding, hence the ':p'

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Iv nailed wonderwall now :w00t::bow:

lol i know you all prob think its the easiest song ever but im happy

Any ideas for the next song, i was think something by the beatles