Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any ideas to get scratches out of face of alloys??

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Just wondering if anyone can give me any tips on method/product to use to get these light scratches out of these VZ SV6 rims? Been sitting in the shed a couple of years and looks like the kids have decided to move them about face down!
Have searched the forum and can't find much except advice to take them to a professional. Won't be doing that as I'm putting them on the mrs VY and selling it.
So basically any tips on what to use and how to go about it would help. Also I presume they have a clear coat on them?? If so I think it is only the clear that is scratched as it doesn't seem deep at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 491
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 615

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
Machine polish them. From the pics it looks like its only scrapped the clear to give it the white scuff mark. Polishing them should remove the white marks but the scratches will still remain in the clear. This will be hard to spot on a wheel In normal light conditions. You could do this by hand but tread gently as too harsh of a polish could marr the clear in the process of removing the scuffs

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Thanks for the tip, I thought that would be the go. I've got some Chemtech Alushine Metal Polish, hopefully that does the trick!
Do you think it would be worth spraying some clear coat on after polishing or is this likely to make it stand out more?
Cheers

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Thanks for the tip, I thought that would be the go. I've got some Chemtech Alushine Metal Polish, hopefully that does the trick!
Do you think it would be worth spraying some clear coat on after polishing or is this likely to make it stand out more?
Cheers

If you're putting them on a car to be sold I honestly wouldn't even worry about spending the money to fix them. It's not like the scrapes will knock any $$$ off the price.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
yea agreed with troy, let them deal with it, you'll probably find that most people won't even look closely at the wheels

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Cheers guys. I know I'm not going to lose $$ on the sale over the scratches but keen to give it a go anyway just to see how easy/hard it is to get the scratches out... Have a couple of small scratches on my VE SS rims and if I have a successful trial run on these puppy's then ill get onto mine.
Will update some photos of the finished product!
Thanks

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
if you want to spray some clear on them you will need to do the whole rim, as its just like spraying a clear on anything. if to try and do a small section you will get a dry edge which will look crap. my opinion, quick hit with some polish and be done with it

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Looks like those wheels were originally factory finished in a silver paint. Not a clear over polished alloy.

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Anybody know the paint code? Or something that's a close match??