Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any tips on replacing L67 head gaskets?

hq-racing

HSVR-28
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 DAILY, WORKED VR CLUBSPORT WAGON PROJECT
So the VT decided to blow a head gasket out the side of the block..
Luckily no water in the oil yet..
Any tips when it comes to replacing them?
I'm gonna get a whole top end kit and replace all seals..
Is it worth getting the heads shimmed just to be safe..?
Great thing to happen over Xmas..

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
I'd have the heads pressure checked for cracks and the valve seats and guides re-done.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Loctite567 on the head bolt threads. They are exposed to coolant galleries and will leak if this isn't done

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
I've just done mine and there isn't much to it really.
However, are you sure your head gasket has blown? Have you done a compression and/or leakdown tests? The oe gaskets are a pretty good gasket and do make a decent seal. Mine were great after 368,000Ks and only came off due to a burnt an exhaust valve. (Intake gasket ruptured causing an over-heat.)
I used GM head gaskets (24503479 & 3480), cleaned the surfaces, used GM sealer on the studs into the block (the Loctite 567 is also a good alternative) and then torqued them up. Easy.
GM head bolts are torque-to-yield, so you must replace and not reuse the ones that come off. GM charge a hellish price for these (list is $254+tax for all 16) and rather than buy the el-cheapo Chinese crap for ~$50, I bought USA made ARP studs for ~$150. ARP 193-4001 for hex or 4002 for 12pt (Rocket industries are $130 plus post.)
ARP studs, are re-useable, the heads will drop on over them in the car, and studs clamp better than bolts.
Booran Holden in Dandenong Vic have the revised intake gasket sets (89017825) in stock for $165 incl tax but plus postage, as opposed to the GM list of $190+tax.

Get the heads properly checked out but you may find the valves have recessed a lot in the seats and a change-over may be a better option than throw money at yours. Make sure you get supercharged heads as the Ecotec heads are different. I got mine complete with hardened seats for $660. Having your existing heads fully reconditioned will be about the same $$ anyway, but you'll wait for them to get done.
TopTorque in Nunawading Vic may have a pair on the shelf ready to go.
All up my top end rebuild cost ~$1400 for everything including oil, filters, coolant, gaskets & seals..

ic9u.jpg

8dr8.jpg

u072.jpg

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Ok, Loctite 567 on head bolts, can someone please explain to me if the heads have to go on a particular side? I have my left and right heads mixed up upon picking it up from the machinist. He did say the heads can go on either side? Is that true or is there any differences between the two?

Also with the head gasket it says left and right top and front, does it mean left = passenger and front = pointing the front of the engine where the belts are?
Thanks kindly