Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anybody Ride??

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
im hoping to get my Ls when i have the cash for a bike

honestly, if you can ride, just do the l's test now then the p's in 3 months, coz then its only 12 months on p plates until you can ride whatever bike you want.

i find it funny that in may next year i can LEGALLY ride a cbr1000rr which is an absolute weapon but cant drive my VB commodore with a 253 in it, which is not a weapon.

i dont know how they think that 15 months on a LAMS bike can get you ready for such a big jump without another licence test after the LAMS restrictions are taken off.

both tests are a joke, just read the book before the l's test coz there is a written component.

skruba

holden, honda, pitbulls
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
my m8 has a gsxr 750 peels my eyelids back wen i lay it on thru the gears

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
honestly, if you can ride, just do the l's test now then the p's in 3 months, coz then its only 12 months on p plates until you can ride whatever bike you want.

i find it funny that in may next year i can LEGALLY ride a cbr1000rr which is an absolute weapon but cant drive my VB commodore with a 253 in it, which is not a weapon.

i dont know how they think that 15 months on a LAMS bike can get you ready for such a big jump without another licence test after the LAMS restrictions are taken off.

both tests are a joke, just read the book before the l's test coz there is a written component.

have never been on a motor bike before, go nothing to learn on and no cash to buy a bike

im working on the cash part tho

Petes VY

Validated Victorian member
Reaction score
Members Ride
absolute stock VY (25 anniversary)
get a friends bike i did and got a big old punch in the arm when i came off. but that oke he was fitting an new side panel and the bike dropped

don't have a license yet :( but that the next step.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
none of my mates ride my dad has a bike but i dont think he would let me ride it cos it was like 11 grand so if i drop it or something im screwed

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, '23 hilux SR5, E3 senator, 85 VK LS1
I'm looking at getting my license at some stage, used to ride years ago so handling the bike isn't a problem. Just need to set aside the time and money to do it.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
Nice bike indeed, and high-five to the parking effort in the background :yeah:

the parking was executed by my son who had just washed the Fagna on the front lawn.... he now owns a VR Berlina and is a member of this forum... although, he still parks on my lawn :bang:

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
have never been on a motor bike before, go nothing to learn on and no cash to buy a bike

im working on the cash part tho

I know plenty of people who have never been on a motorbike before, they went done thetraining day out at RideTek and passed first go, its only about $240 for the day from memory. Some people I know who could not ride a push bike in a straight line passed, its quite worrying. I wouldnt worry about getting practice first, atleas that way they teach you the correct way and wont pick up any bad habbits etc.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
yeah, its not a very hard thing to pass.

but whether to go to ride-tek or deca training down in our area, its fairly luck of the draw from mine and my mates experiences. very much dependent on the instructor you get.

i first did my L's test with deca then did my P's with ride-tek, mainly to see the differences between the two companies to help people with choosing the right one.. and the differences were like day and night.

i found deca to be on the mark for what they had to do, with demonstrations of what the correct techniques were (and they were correct) for the tasks (by the instructor i might add), and my instructor even explained the weight transfer/tyre contact patch relationship pretty well, and the instructor treated everyone equally. the bikes were in quite good condition aka no bent handlebars, working clutch and brakes etc.

but ride-tek were very dissapointing. very.
first problem were the bikes. most of them seemed pretty banged up asthetically (expected for testing bikes, same condition as deca bikes) but they were absolutely horrible to ride. mine had bent handlebars, poor jetting (wouldnt idle, bogged down in low rpm) and a very shuddery clutch. those things made it really tiresome to ride smoothly. my mate who did the test at the same time said his bike was better than mine, but not by much (he had straight bars).

problem two. the instructor. and treatment of people.
it was a really nice morning so i decided to ride out to the test (was on a wr450f) and when i got there i got the usual smart comments on why riding a dirt bike on the road was wrong etc, which i expected. but what really annoyed me was the personal attacks the instructor made towards me. constantly. im not usually one to care about these sort of things but i was treated like complete (well you know what ill say next). he came to the conclusion that because i ride a dirt bike, i ride with no gear, no helmet, and usually pissed. and these comments just kept on flowing. all day.
i've been riding motorbikes for about 14 years now, racing motorcross competitively for 10 of those years, so i know about all the safety aspects etc.

this frustrated me a lot, and he could see this and just kept on pushing me the wrong way, hoping for me to crack.

but the real issue was with the tips for riding he tried to give. i was taught to ride by my father (ex australian motorcross champion, and still an a grade mx rider at 47yo) so he taught me the right things. as the bike was so unrideable, i had to slip the clutch to get it to pull out of the turns we had to do. he pulled me to the side, asked what the go was with the clutch so i told him, which he was cool about.

during the slalom exercise, he pulled me to the side once again but this time told me to "stay the f off the clutch" and asked in the same manner why my brake light was on. i explained how i drag the rear brake to stiffen the suspension up for the side to side movement, and to keep the chain tight as well (im pretty heavy, 95kg) so it wasnt so vague then he just gave me another spray because 'that braking doesnt do anything for suspension" etc etc.

but then he lost it at me in the quick stop test. like in front of everyone. swearing, pointing, looked like he was gonna try and knock me out. no kidding. idea for the quick stop was to stop as quick after he did the signal, and i had my bike really dialled. had all the weight to the front and the rear wheel about 2cm from the ground, to give max grip to the front. he went off because "its dangerous because you could lock at any time" i said that i can actually feel the tyres sliding and the response was "whatever mate, only the top riders can do that. and what if there was oil on the road, or a truck pulled out" which was crap, because of controlled conditions on a skidpan, but i saw what he was trying to say. "i said i'd just change my line on the corner to suit what was happening" he said it was "f'n impossible, you'll just end under the truck with braking with that etc etc" and at which point he said..

'i hope that this happens to you one day.'

excuse me??

now, that to me, is very unprofessional behavior, and i was nearly going to report it to the company, but there was just no point. some people just cant hide that they are idiots with such rediculous predjustices towards people.
most people wouldnt be able to deal with that sort of treatment from 8.30am to 3pm without losing their head (which i didnt do).

but in the end of the day, i got my p's and never will see the instructor again.

all that being said, i have a mate who said it was completely opposite with the treatment, though not so extreme towards him. personally, i would steer clear of ride tek