Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone a maths wiz?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
So a sedan with a 100kg passenger would be slower than a wagon with driver only?

Unsprung is beneath the spring (tyres/wheels/brakes). Anything above the spring (card body/load,/engine etc) is sprung.
Rotating masses inertia needs to be considered too

Unless the passenger has a huge gut that would count as some kind of mass damper, they are probably similar. But wagon is not 100kh more than the sedan?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm just saying it is considered in all forms of motorsport that 1 kg of unsprung weight is equal to 2 kg of body weight, that includes F1 to drag racing and every form of racing in between.
So what I'm hearing is that it's better to fit your alloy wheels to the car and keep your steelies in the boot than the other way around?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Thought I was old haha..never knew that was monty python thing

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Unsprung is beneath the spring (tyres/wheels/brakes). Anything above the spring (card body/load,/engine etc) is sprung.
Rotating masses inertia needs to be considered too

Unless the passenger has a huge gut that would count as some kind of mass damper, they are probably similar. But wagon is not 100kh more than the sedan?
Maybe the passenger was being bolted to a wheel?
”Wheeeeeeee!!!!”

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The difference will be very minimal. There will be a difference but likely tyres and road surface would be the noise level.

Short answer is the heavier the slower. Go find out how much by at the strip.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
So what I'm hearing is that it's better to fit your alloy wheels to the car and keep your steelies in the boot than the other way around?

That depends, a lot of alloy wheels are heavier than the old steelie wheels.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Unsprung weight is said to have a much bigger impact on acceleration, braking and changing direction then the weight of the vehicle.
Correct! In fact with circuit race cars, I've often added (sprung) weight into the rear for a better front to rear weight balance and increased corner speed with reduced lap times on an overall heavier vehicle. Unsprung weight particularly rotational masses like heavy wheels, brake rotors, drive shafts etc will typically slow down a car's acceleration rate more so than the equivalent in sprung rate.