Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone fitted a CRS kit to a VY 3.8Lt

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Remember those supperchargers are designed for little 4 cylinder toyotas, for a decent boost increase you would be putting alot of load onto a sc14 kit. Your better off saving up some cash so your car will still be trouble free for years to come.

another uneducated. the charger is pretty much the same ****ing size as the one you find on the l67 engine, and they came off a 6 cylinder, not a 4

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
i was under the impression they are off the 4agze, seen so many 4agze all with the sc14 as it was factory
4age is the NA motor and the 4agze was the supercahrged motor
cant say ive seen or heard of one factory on a 6

what 6 cylinder toyota motor had them on?

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
hey smart ass, why do they have 6 psi on the toyota engine then ends up being 3-4 on the small 3.8 v6?? simply because theres more displacement to fill so the pressure cant be as high as the smaller motor. There designed to run at 6 psi so winding it way over that limit to get a half decent boost of acceleration is going to be a luck of the draw whether it survives or not for a decent amount of time with or without a rebuild.

For your info they were originally put on the 4A-GZE (1600cc 4 cylinder) & the 1G-GZE (2000cc 6 cylinder) which is a minimum 1.8 litre difference. To bring a 3.8 litre up to the stock 6 psi the sc14 usually outputs, your already making the unit work harder than its been designed to be used for. A raptor kit or similar is designed to run at high boost and would be worth the extra cash in my uneducated opinion

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
noone here mentioned standard

the OP was after a standard CRS kit. he's not gonna be getting any where the same performance on a heavy arse VY

another uneducated. the charger is pretty much the same ****ing size as the one you find on the l67 engine, and they came off a 6 cylinder, not a 4

actually, it's a proven fact that the sc14 is a less efficient design then the later model chargers. fact is when a sc14 is pushing 10psi into a V6 it's well beyond what it was designed for. i'm not saying it doesn't work it's just not what it was designed for

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey smart ass, why do they have 6 psi on the toyota engine then ends up being 3-4 on the small 3.8 v6?? simply because theres more displacement to fill so the pressure cant be as high as the smaller motor. There designed to run at 6 psi so winding it way over that limit to get a half decent boost of acceleration is going to be a luck of the draw whether it survives or not for a decent amount of time with or without a rebuild.

For your info they were originally put on the 4A-GZE (1600cc 4 cylinder) & the 1G-GZE (2000cc 6 cylinder) which is a minimum 1.8 litre difference. To bring a 3.8 litre up to the stock 6 psi the sc14 usually outputs, your already making the unit work harder than its been designed to be used for. A raptor kit or similar is designed to run at high boost and would be worth the extra cash in my uneducated opinion

well gee, it wouldnt have anything to do with the massive pulley that the sc14 comes with from factory now would it? you would recommend a raptor? really are uneducated as you say. power/dollar ratio is horrible with those when compared to a $500 sc14, so why dont you stop posting your opinions when you have no relevant experience with any of these topics.
as stated before. m90s are 1495cc, a sc14 is 1400cc. not really that big a difference. only makes a difference to dumbasses such as yourself that think that because they started off an a smaller motor, thats where they belong.
plenty of these chargers run fine running double the factory boost so there goes that part of your argument. how about sticking to what you do best, selling other peoples tunes off for more profit.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
actually, it's a proven fact that the sc14 is a less efficient design then the later model chargers. fact is when a sc14 is pushing 10psi into a V6 it's well beyond what it was designed for. i'm not saying it doesn't work it's just not what it was designed for
yes its less efficient, but most of the time, cars with these chargers running that much boost are often intercooled, so that can increase the efficiency a bit. a lot easier and cheaper to intercool a sc14 over a m90 too. not arguing your point though, youre right about the efficiency

nicko451

Nicko
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive V6 5Spd
lol uneducated this uneducated that! shut up!

He is right you may aswell save for a raptor

dont call them uneducated! because the raptor is with out a doubt a better supercharger!

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
cmelb

The old enemy is back!! You have been noted for extreme trouble making in the past, mods may have even dealt with you, can't recall the specifics exactly. I will give you the benefit of a clean sheet in this thread and answer your post without any past knowledge putting a slew on things.

With the VY you have no way to tune any thing with your CRS style adaption, so any results/boost will have to be very minor at best to prevent engine damage. Of course comprehensive tuning is possible if you go to Sydney or the Gold Coast in Qld but I know for certain that won't fit the budget of the average CRS style installer.

The IBLOWN example was not an easy task, it was time consuming and it was intercooled and running a decent pressure - All not that cheap either when said and done. Then in the longer term as many have found, running the AISIN supercharger at way beyond its design speed results in the nylon bearing supports melting down eventually and the teflon seperating from the rotors. The actual supply of the SC14 type blowers is now extremely limited to the point that if you destroy one there is no guaranteeing you will get another one to replace it, at least finding one that is any good.

I don't have any second hand stuff either at this time, although there is a VT kit (near new and fits all VT - VY)) for sale at present on Ebay, the lad rolled his car and wrote it off, the kit still has nearly 5 months of factory warranty on it which I will happily honour. There is a link to it via my Raptor second hand kits thread in the Sponsors Sub Forum

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
thats true about the limited supply of chargers. he couldnt run a l67 tune could he?

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
He could if he had an L67 ECU and wiring loom to suit the VY, otherwise no.

Technically it's possible to load an L67 tune into a ECOTEC VY ecu but the fact is that no one has done this so there is not a tune on file that will drop straight in.

If someone had been to chiptorque with an L67 installed and asked for it to be tuned via the STOCK ECU then there would be a tune on file you could flash straight in.

^^ 2 ways of saying the same thing I know but hopefully it helps