Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone got a good DIY amp install writeup?

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
Did a search and didn't find anything, also no having much luck with google, it's turning up pretty vague stuff.

so does anyone know of an easy to follow but detailed writeup of how to install an amp?

cheers!

oh, and while i'm here, what are Kicker like these days?
would this package be good or average?
240WRMS 4ch Amp
300WRMS Mono Amp
150W 6" splits
195 6" speakers
Dual 12" 600WRMS subs in box

and what would you pay for the above?

Last edited:

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I haven't used a lot of kicker gear so I can't comment on their sound or build quality, but I will say that you will probably want more than 300wrms to drive 2 12" subs.
The 4ch amp (assuming 60wrms/channel) would do the job of powering the speakers. No idea what the speakers are like though. Maybe post up some model numbers of the gear. Quoting power claims really doesn't tell us much at all.

If those are all the basic models, then I don't imagine it would be much more than $1500, probably less. If you buy everything at once most places would do you a pretty good deal as well.

Also, don't forget that you will need a fair bit of wiring to hook up 2 amps and 4 speakers as well.

As far as the install write-up, I'll hand-ball that to someone else coz I'm lazy but if you have never done it before you will probably end up needing help at some point.
Depending where you are in Melbourne, myself or someone else might even be able to come around and give you a hand.

EDIT: Do you really want 2 subs? You might be happy enough running one sub off that amp

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
yeh cheers, it's just a package JB have at the moment, they don't quote model numbers. it's priced at $1346 but with their 30% off this weekend comes down to just under a grand.

any particular brands you'd suggest for a fairly decent sound quality? Mainly looking at some 6" splits and a sub/amp combo at the moment.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Personally I'm an alpine fan, but a lot of people say they are overpriced.
Soundstream make some good splits for not too much, and I have listened to a couple nice sets of eclipse speakers and subs but again, I haven't heard much as far as their quality goes. There was even a decent set of pioneer splits I heard a year or so ago that sounded good for the price.

With speaker and sub selection, a lot of it comes down to personal preferance so I suggest taking in a CD of whatever music you listen to into a car audio place and listen to a few different setups to see what tickles your fancy.

For under a grand that first combo you mentioned is probably pretty good but naturally you will be able to get a better system if you are willing to spend a bit more.

It could even be worth getting that combo, selling the splits and subs, then chasing down a good single sub and splits. That's probably a lot of mucking around for not much $$$ saving though.

Then again, I'm not thinking the clearest at the moment so I may be forgetting obvious things

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
cheers Kal, must have been using the wrong combo of words when I searched google as I didn't come up with anything like that! first one is a good link...

philthy - cheers for that info, might just go in and see what they all sound like. I'm willing to pay extra for quality, but don't want to go over $1500 for sub, amps, splits and wiring. wiring will probably take up about $150 of that easily.

sycvs

commo for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
amp wiring kits are round 30-50 each or if you dont mind ebay then go there i did got a kit for 1.99 3.00 postage and it is great dont buy amps subs splits from ebay power sellers there not as good as it seems im a clarion man my self but like alpine people think it pricey but 2 x 12 inch would cost you around 150 amp around 200-300 each auto barn for that

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
amp wiring kits are round 30-50 each or if you dont mind ebay then go there i did got a kit for 1.99 3.00 postage and it is great dont buy amps subs splits from ebay power sellers there not as good as it seems im a clarion man my self but like alpine people think it pricey but 2 x 12 inch would cost you around 150 amp around 200-300 each auto barn for that

Just a comment on the wiring - I would be using the biggest wires the amps will support, which will either be 4g or 8g, and it's likely the cheap kits on ebay will be 8g. I picked up a 20m roll of 4g for around $30 so there are bargains to be found if you look hard enough.

And when you are buying it, remember that you are going to be running 2 amps, so it might be worthwhile not to buy 2 kits, but to run 1 length of a larger gauge cable to the boot and split it with a distribution block. That way you aren't running 2 expensive cables the length of the car.
If you were to run the wiring this way, you would need about 5m of the larger cable, then just a couple meters of the smaller stuff to run from the distro block to the amps, and a bit for earth wires, 2x5m RCAs, about 6m of remote wire (just a small gauge wire, don't bother with the fancy expensive crap), then speaker wires to all the speakers and some bigger stuff for the sub/s. It can quickly add up, so don't be too shocked when you figure out what it will cost for the lot.
Oh, and fuses. Don't forget fuses on every power wire you use

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
good advice there philthy ;)

so will an amp specify what the thickest wiring it can take is?
and say from the battery to the rear of the car, I can run the thickest wire possible, then just jump down to the maximum allowed for the amp after the distribution block? if that makes sense?!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'd be buying a slightly different setup. The new Cadence range is supposed to be pretty good, have you had a look at them. I do talk about Cadence alot don't I, hmmm.

JB Prices for these.
Cadence XA125.4 4-Channel amp for the front splits. 80WRMSx4 at 4ohm or 250WRMSx2 at 2ohm. $298
Cadence XA400.1 1-CHANNEL for the sub. 425WRMS @ 2 ohm. $267 (I'd get two of these and link them)
$300 odd for some splits
About $400 for a L7 or Orion or some decent sub.

Total $1500ish then minus 30% so will work out better splits and heaps more bass.

My 2 cents anyway.