Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone had problems with spitting off air-con belts on 6.0Ltr motors?

cheesy_j

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
I was the same as bonners. As soon as the cam went it, it did it.
Mines slipped off twice then just stopped doing it

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
Cheesy, did you an UD pulley with the cam? I did a 25% and wonder if they are part of the problem

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Just thought I'd let everyone know I fixed my problem, turns out coolant was leaking from the cheap GMH factory hose clamps on the top heater hoses dripping coolant onto the belts then the belt would slip and spit it off.
Replaced the clamps and it hasn't spat the belt in two months, hope it helps out some people because it was driving me nuts!

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
i had the same fix. although they replaced the ac bracket on mine aswell.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Sorry to thread mine, but I was wondering if anyone has done this themselves ???

I had a look at the workshop manual, and it says to remove the Aircon compressor :(
(This probably explains the $900 Holden charges, as this will require a regas).

I tried doing this myself yesterday (I have the above mentioned parts), but I found it very tight and difficult to get even a small shifter in the area.
My thinking is that I will need to remove the lower radiator hose, as well as the heater hoses from the water pump, which MIGHT free up some room ?????
(I didnt try this yesterday, as I thought if I need to do that, I may as well get new hoses, clamps, and flush the radiator whilst I am at it).

Like PJDM1980, I also noticed that coolant has been leaking from the heater core hose connector joins just above the the water pump, and thinking they would not be helping the situation much either.
In the end, I refitted the old belt, so as I still have aircon, but will look at doing this properly next week.

Anyone with any hints, or suggestions ???
Cheers

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You dont need to disconnect the compressor, just undo the bolts and move it out the way. Also undo the bolt that secures the pipes that run along the front of the engine to allow more movement in the compressor.

Dont need to remove any radiator hoses or anything either.

Really need a ratchet, extensions and sockets to get at the compressor bolts easily.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Just to clarify dont undo the bolt that secures the pipes to the compressor itself.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Thanks for the info RiCey...
I will give that a go next week.
Cheers

kalebjt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
hey guys,

had the same problem in my 07 ssv, Holden quoted me $800+,
said when they install the new bracket and pulley that they need to replace harmonic balancer since they were faulty pre nov 09 builds?
I had a look and harmonic balancer and seems to be fine,
If i was to replace my balancer, is it worth putting in standard one back in or beneficial wacking in a under-drive harmonic balancer?

any help would be appreciated,

cheers

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
I've got a '06 VE GTS and it keeps on throwing the air-con belts off it's the single tensioner model and I've been told that Holden had problems with the dual tensioner set-ups and mine has a under driven pulley but has a smaller belt to compensate (4PK1050 instead of the 4PK1100) so any any have a idea what could be the issue?
My 06 ss spits the belt aswell if I really give it the boot (last time it ripped the belt in half) apparently it's common for the early ve's but iv just been to slack (and broke) to get mine fixed. Just take it easy when your driving (atleast till you get it fixed) and it shouldn't throw the belt.