Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone have a newish water pump fail?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
you need a 3 leg puller and three 1/4" UNF bolts....don't use a lever!!!. First you need to get the big bolt off - use a breaker bar resting on the chassis (pass side) and hit the starter

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi Hako
Got the bolt undone what a pig..... ended up putting the car on ramps ...removed the starter motor,wedged the ring gear, then used a metal tube on a beaker bar from below .....
Thats is as far as we got.....I got a universal puller (69$ + another169$ for the harmonic balancer) but the needed bolts in the kit are only 2 of and they are 2 short ....FFS.....
Anyway will pop down tomorrow grab some HT bolts (hate buss's btw :)) and Ill bet ya they dont have them in stock :D
Think they made a mistake when naming this part should have been called demonic balancer....;)
Thanks

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ok just had a look for info on doing the balancer but mine look like this and has no bolt holes http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...52427-knocking-harmonic-balancer-image068.jpg
How do I get the sucker off ? can I stick a metal rod spanner through the hole and onto the block with destroying anything behind the balancer??

The three 1/4 UNF bolts will screw into the 3 small slots located around the centre of the pulley .You can see these 3 slots in the pic in the link above.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Ive had a brand new water pump fail a month after installation . Sometimes they just don't last.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sometimes contamination in the coolant can do it, running plain water is just plain bad.

I had a coolant leak but was a bit lazy about fixing it so ended up running just water rather than coolant. When I finally fixed the problem you should have seen the crap that came out the coolant system :(

One tiny little flake of rust will kill the water pump seal if it gets in there, not very likely but it is possible.

Seriously thinking about fitting one of those radiator hose filters to see how much crap is really in there even after I reverse flushed the system a couple of times.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Thanks Guys
The 3 day saga finally ended with the car running....I did the cas whilst it was pulled down, as I really dont want to have to do that again ...anytime soon