Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone know about debts for courses

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
ok has anyone seen that express it course on the internet ok the course i want to do is 26000 im just wondering if there was like a hex thing on that sorry if the spelling is wrong or hex isnt the word cause i really dont know

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Talk to the provider of the course. They will probably have a range of finance options or can put you onto people who can help.

Reaper

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
You want to be looking for courses that offer a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). As far as I know, private universities do not provide CSPs. The loan you get from the government is now called HECS-HELP.

What type of 'course' is this anyway? Surely for that money you will be obtaining an internationally accredited degree, right?

It's a shame, if you were considering anything like a degree from a proper university that provides CSPs you have missed out on your chance to apply through VTAC.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
some of those IT courses aren't worth the paper the certificate is printed on. that's one reason it may not qualify for HECS.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
$26000!!! Well bugger me! My four years at uni didn't cost anywhere near that. How long is the course for and what do you get out of it in the long term?

My understanding is that HECS isn't offered to mature age students (those 25 or over) but I might be wrong.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
Like has been said, some course dont offer HECS places, some of the ones that dont offer FEE-HELP or HECS-HELP, few different names, pretty much the same thing...

If the course offers a HECS places, you would have to fill out a HECS form with your tax file number

And im pretty sure that HECS is offered to anyone, of any age, as long as the course youre applying for offers it

hope that helps, goodluck!

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
ok has anyone seen that express it course on the internet ok the course i want to do is 26000 im just wondering if there was like a hex thing on that sorry if the spelling is wrong or hex isnt the word cause i really dont know

$26,000? Wow, my entire computer science degree at wollongong university which was 4 years only cost me $18,000.

I think you'll find most of those courses are austudy approved, but not hecs. So a fair chunk you'll have to pay yourself upfront. If they do offer HECS, anyone can get it.

Thought about going to tafe for a year to do a bridging course that will get you into uni? Honestly these express IT courses will teach you nothing other than get you qualified for a help desk job. You'd be better off signing up for multiple tafe courses to diversify your skillset, than to do a 4 month crash course that really can't teach you anything other than the basics in that timeframe.

What career do you actually want from this? I can tell you first hand, from working in the industry for quite a few years now. Unless you have a degree, don't expect a decent salary, unless you want to do things like networking or systems support, which can be attained at TAFE for much cheaper.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
Thought about going to tafe for a year to do a bridging course that will get you into uni? Honestly these express IT courses will teach you nothing other than get you qualified for a help desk job. You'd be better off signing up for multiple tafe courses to diversify your skillset, than to do a 4 month crash course that really can't teach you anything other than the basics in that timeframe.

I have an Advanced Diploma of Computer Science (2 year tafe course, cost me less than $600!), and I got a job in help desk... Before I even finished my course... And I'm pretty sure that's the extent of Express IT. Guaranteed job in the industry, tech support, earning 40k for the rest of your life.

Only a week to go to find out whether I got into uni (swinburne) or not, and my tafe course will knock at least a year off my degree :)

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Upon looking up these courses, it seems most of them are offering Microsoft or Linux certifications. Most of which can be done at TAFE, or the books purchased and the test done at an independant testing centre, for barely a quarter of the price of what you'll be paying.

MCSA, MCP, Cisco, RHCE etc etc can all be attained at various TAFE's around the country. All these qualifications are internationally recognised, and where you get them is irrelevant. The Express IT course may be worth it, but I'd certainly look into what other options are out there, everything they offer can be attained for much cheaper. It just depends on whether you're happy doing a few courses over a year, instead of doing it in 3-4 months that they offer. Or if you're a keen learner, do it at home.