Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone know what this is?

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
Hey everyone, it's been a while since ive been here but am looking for some insight.

Have 2 VP Calais' and wondering what this thing is thats missing on one of them.

They're one the passenger side behind the air vents.

Pics for reference. I've circled the area, one is missing one is there.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• calais_missing_thing_what_is.jpg
    calais_missing_thing_what_is.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 141
  • calais_missing_thing_what_is2.jpg
    calais_missing_thing_what_is2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 149

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That’s where to factory security lock was. The bracket made sure the wiring couldn’t tampered with.

My VP had a key lock there and a special key to turn it it to disable the factory system.

Back in the day, all cars had to have either factory security systems or after market immobilisers. Most people used after market immobilisers. You’ll find them on VN and VP. VR-VZ used the key with with a better system of doing it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I might have this wrong, but didn’t we have a shitty rectangular remote with it as well? I seem to recall one.

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
Yep that'd be right the one missing the plate has had an aftermarket system installed.

Thanks!

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
I may be throwing a cat amongst the pigeons here but the security bypass switch (zadi key) is far left of that bracket,down level with the visible wiring and covered with a black weatherproof rubber cover. The two rivets are a bastard to drill out as they are hardened.
The ECU usually had a steel cover riveted over it also. You can get to the security wiring by removing the kick panel.
So what is the mystery item? I'm thinking a dash support bracket or a support bracket for the heater/air...?

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 74

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
No. It protected the wiring loom from the security. When I pulled the dash on my VP, I had some hassles with it all.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I may be throwing a cat amongst the pigeons here but the security bypass switch (zadi key) is far left of that bracket,down level with the visible wiring and covered with a black weatherproof rubber cover. The two rivets are a bastard to drill out as they are hardened.
The ECU usually had a steel cover riveted over it also. You can get to the security wiring by removing the kick panel.
So what is the mystery item? I'm thinking a dash support bracket or a support bracket for the heater/air...?
That was the button! I hated that thing.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The key thing is visible down in the original photo. The loom went up and through that hole and then behind the riveted bracket.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
You are correct,Fu. The only thing the bracket does is route/protect the security wiring loom.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The key thing is visible down in the original photo. The loom went up and through that hole and then behind the riveted bracket.
Agreed. The original switch is still there and the short connector might still be flopping about in the A pillar.