Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone know what this is?

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
Cheers guys. Rather than open a new thread, I'm going to be replacing the heater core (the dash out way) while i've got everything apart can anyone recommend what to check/fix/improve?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
New AC seals
Add in any additional wiring for accessories you plan, including getting them through the firewall.
Do the AC Evaporator, which might need to be fabricated but you have the chance now.
Redo all ducting seals with k-flex sealing foam from Bunnings
IMG_2989.jpeg

Clean out the HVAC box.

Ideally, see if you can get a second hand hvac. Overhaul it. New heater core and evap. All cleaned out. Assembled. And then dash out. HVAC out and referbed one straight in. Done.

New TXV
New filter drier on the AC.

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
Sounds smart, I'm in VIC and know nothing about hvac etc... anyone know some pros I can talk to?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
New AC seals
Add in any additional wiring for accessories you plan, including getting them through the firewall.
Do the AC Evaporator, which might need to be fabricated but you have the chance now.
Redo all ducting seals with k-flex sealing foam from Bunnings View attachment 250976
Clean out the HVAC box.

Ideally, see if you can get a second hand hvac. Overhaul it. New heater core and evap. All cleaned out. Assembled. And then dash out. HVAC out and referbed one straight in. Done.

New TXV
New filter drier on the AC.
There's no TX valve on pre VR AFAIK.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
There's no TX valve on pre VR AFAIK.
Yep. VP/VQ AC has an orifice tube. Once you clean out the heater box and evaporator put some kind of filter on the fresh air intake to make sure they stay clean. You don't want to do job this too often.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sounds smart, I'm in VIC and know nothing about hvac etc... anyone know some pros I can talk to?
Grab a Haynes or Gregory's and go from there. It's about 7-8hrs for a trained person. I could do it in 10hrs. It's not overly complicated but it's slow going. Took me about 3hrs to remove a VP HAVAC at the local UPI. Be careful with the last few screws that hold the core to the firewall. You can snap the plastic where they hold on. Just make sure you pull gently and if it feels like it's not coming easily you have probably left a screw in on the drivers side.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Grab a Haynes or Gregory's and go from there. It's about 7-8hrs for a trained person. I could do it in 10hrs. It's not overly complicated but it's slow going. Took me about 3hrs to remove a VP HAVAC at the local UPI. Be careful with the last few screws that hold the core to the firewall. You can snap the plastic where they hold on. Just make sure you pull gently and if it feels like it's not coming easily you have probably left a screw in on the drivers side.
And take lots of photos, its difficult to get the sequence right when putting it back together. The blokes that modified and pressure tested my evaporator- Pasino Radiators in West Brunswick- seemed to know what they're on about- their phone number is 9380 1411.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
As you remove sections or panels, bag and tag. Screws into a zip lock. Write on the ziplock what they are.

I also bag panels etc where possible to stop scratches and damage.

Photos a must. Good advice there.

I use plastic crates to organise various stages of dismantling into. All the bags of screws. All the panels. Tape on the front with what it’s for.

The HVAC is the whole big box that the air ducts join to. It has all the doors for directing air. It has the heater core and evaporator in it. Get one in advance that you can get sorted first. Have the evap and everything done. Dismantle it completely and clean and wash it all. Bleach the inside because the biohazard that exists inside is of interest to David Attenborough himself. A full ecosystem. Then swap them over. It will radically cut down on headaches and time when doing the job.

Having done many cars over the years, I’m a big fan of using sugar soap and a boofy round paint brush to clean parts, interiors for cost effect results. Then wipe with fresh water or hose off in the back yard where possible. Wipe down with microfibres to get the bits really clean.

I recall doing my VP, I didn’t replace the o-rings on the part in the wiper area where the evap bolts to the engine side of the AC.
Replace them.

I recall the great Commodorenut helping me with advice doing that job. What a guy. I think it was also my first few posts on this forum 20 years ago or something.

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
Thanks guys, very helpful. Will be undertaking this project in the near future.